Re: Volkswagon CD changer

Steve, here is the info on the CD changer...

If you have the VW PREMIUM AM/FM/CASS (not the BOSE) you must determine if
you have the CLARION or PANASONIC version. The simplest way to tell is to
look at the unit itself. Look on the cassette door by the DOLBY symbol. If
there is a little plastic tab on the door, you have the CLARION.... if it
is smooth, you have the PANASONIC. If you're not sure, call CRUTCHFIELD
AUDIO at (800) 955-3000 and they can tell you a few other ways to determine
this. It's really easy! By the way, I have the Clarion. I have a 97 GLX
(bought new in Mid 12/96) and they weren't offering the BOSE then.... no
stock!!! They subtracted $375 from the price of the car because the BOSE
was not yet available.

I'm not sure what CD CHANGER the Panasonic might use, I only was concerned
with the one for my car... the Clarion. The only VW sells for WAY TOO MUCH
MONEY is a Clarion #020CDC605 --- 6 CD trunk mounted changer. This unit has
been replaced by one with slightly better specs, the #020CDC635. A
Crutchfield, the former sells for $249.95 (closeout) and the latter
$279.95. Either one will work in your car. You will also need an adapter
harness (Crutchfield model #541VWCLR1) for $20. I was told that the newer
version does not need the adapter, but I think that information is not
correct.

DO NOT choose the 12 CD Clarion unit! Your existing unit cannot control the
extra 6 CDs. You'll have to order an extra 6 CD caddy instead... #020CAA355
for $29.95.

The MSRP for the model CDC635 is $280 and that seems to be what everybody
sells it for. I did find a small shop near Pittsburgh that will discount
it. They also do installs for $10, but sell a gold plated adapter harness
which costs $35. The three Clarion dealers closest to me all veried in
price when it came to TOTAL COST because some installed for FREE if you
bought it from them... and some were just outrageous... $50 install!
Whatever you do, it's still a helluva lot better deal than from VW!!!

The place that discounts them here is SOS AUDIO at (412) 728-7510. If they
ship out of state, there won't be any PA 6% sales tax, but you'll probably
pay shipping. Of course, if you mail order it, you'll do that anyway. They
said they'd sell me the unit for $260 delivered.

I suggest you visit the CLARION WEBSITE at
http://www.clarionmultimedia.com/ and see where the closest dealers are to
you. You can do a search by zipcode.

So that's it. For CLARION-VW PREMIUM sound systems, you need the CDC635
Clarion changer and adapter. You can save a few bux by getting the older
CDC605 with probably unnoticable differences. SHop around and save a few
more dollars. Everyone seems to want LIST PRICE for the unit, but I found a
few exceptions by calling around. I did NOT try the BIG OUTLETS like BIG
APPLE ENTERTAINMENT or J&R MUSIC WORLD (mail order houses) where you might
get an ever better deal.

I'm getting mine put in next week locally though.... at SOS... Installed,
tax, adapter, EVERYTHING is just over $300.

I hope I've been of SOME HELP!

Thom

===                                                              ===
===       Thomas F. Peluso           Electronics Development     ===
===       Eaton Corporation          Technical & Quality Center  ===
===       170 Industry Drive         (412) 787-6500 - Ext. 6930  ===
===       Pittsburgh, PA 15275       (412) 787-6593 (fax)        ===
===       E-Mail address:            tfp@tsil.net                ===
===       Packet Radio address:      KF3V@W2XO.PA.USA.NOAM       ===
===       E-Mail for schedule of FCC Exam sessions for both      ===
===         FCC Commericial and Amateur Radio Licensing.         ===
===   PLEASE visit my WEBPAGE and be sure to sign the guestbook  ===
===           HOMEPAGE ADDRESS = http://www.tsil.net/~tfp        ===