RE: brake fluid flush, blowout

> Why is it so important to change the Break Fluid every two years?
> Is this something unique to VW?  No.
> Does it have something to do with water buildup in the lines?

Yes, all brake fluid is hygroscopic (water absorbing) and the moisture
lowers the boiling point of DOT3 fluid to 284*F.  As the braking action
heats the fluid, the now gas vapor is VERY compressible and you lose
brake pressure.  Plus the moisture causes rust in the system and with
ABS the pumps run about $1500.  See how dirty fluid gets over time.  So
do a fluid flush minimally every 2 years, better yearly.
- ----------------

> sure enough I had blown a tire.  So I have questiions:
>
> 1) With the baby spare on, the alignment seems normal, but when I
> accelerate it *really* pulls to the right.  Is this normal?

Was it a front tire?  If yes, the car is now sitting a little cockeyed,
plus the traction differential between left/right.

> 6) If I'm worried about extra damage, but can't really feel/hear
> anything,
>    is there anything I should look for?

Get down and check out the underside - oil pan, hoses, brake lines, etc.

Gary Lin