Chips 101 (Was)Garrett Vs. Autotech Q-chip

Please excuse my ignorance regarding performance upgrades.  I just got my
GLX a month ago and I have a few questions regarding chips:

1)  Is the stock chip on a 1997 GLX soldered in?
NO
2)  Do the various aftermarket chips effect gas milage during normal
driving conditions?
Aftermarket chips usually have BETTER milage
3)  Other than hp gain what is the actual purpose of these chips - more
power in the low end, elimination of the rev limiter, higher top end, or
to take advantage of higher octane gas?
Yes, all of these.

I guess I'd like to know why the stock chip is not adequate?
The stock chip as to adhear to US. emissions standards and provide a good
average rating for the ENTIRE car line from a certain manufacturer (ie.
VW)  They purposely tune the car conservitavely inorder to get a car that
looks good to the EPA, milage, burns even the worst quaility gas etc.

Soo if you push the limits you can get a little more power out of the
car, and since you inparticular don't have to adhear to EPA standards as
strictly, there is some performance to be gained.

However with a new chip, the cars seem to rev smoother and faster, I have
no other explaination other than that the VW engineers didn't spend
enough time on the programming.
andy

Cheers,

- ---