Re: quick note:

Chris,

I've heard of other people having problems with their '95-'96 GLX's but
mine (like yours) is a '97 and I'm hoping that VW has all the bugs worked
out!

I absolutely love the car.  I really can't find a flaw with it except I
wish it handled alittle better.  But it handles really good just has a
little too much understeer for me.

Here are some reasons I like the (my) GLX:

On the plus side for the GLX:
1. The trunk is huge!  And the hinges are on the outside so they don't get
in the way of packing the trunk FULL.
2. The rims look fantastic!  Almost as cool as 17" rims!
3. All 4 windows and the sunroof roll up and down by locking or unlocking
the front doors.
4. You can roll the windows up and down inside the car without the key in
the ignition.
5. Factory fog/driving lights!
6. The Bose stereo is awesome! Great sound.
7. The sunroof works great. 3 positions. Open, closed, and tilted up in
back. Cool!
8. The front brake rotors are huge!  They barely fit inside the wheels!
9. The '97's come with a glove box, finally.
10. It has a multi-function trip computer.  It will constantly monitor your
gas milage and average speed.  Also how long you've been driveing, your oil
temp. and the temp. outside!
11. Heated seats!
12. Heated mirrors!
13. Heated windshield "squirters"!
14. Low profile 50 series tires!
15. Trick fold down seats.  They fold down flat!
16. V6 POWER!
17. German handling.  It really handles well.  I also own a Miata, and I
sold an RX-7 for this car!
18. There are 2 email users groups.  One devoted to the Jetta GLX and one
to Golf VR6's.

On the minus side:
1. The Goodyear GA's are great all season tires but not great dry traction
tires.  But they last along time.  I don't think they are soft enough.
2. The reliability isn't up to Honda standards.
3. The front sits alittle higher than the rear.  I'm looking into getting
new springs to fix this and make it handle better.
4. It's sprung alittle soft.  Lots of body roll, but it rides nice.
5. The car doesn't handle as neutral as say a Miata, but its much better
than a Honda, or Toyota!!!
6. It doesn't come with a CD player.
7. It has Day Time Running lights (but I think they can be disabled)

Hope you like yours as much as I like mine!!!!

Mitch

email: mitchman@oneworld.owt.com
web:  http://www.owt.com/users/mitchman/