Re: Fuel Tank Capacity

1st why would you drive on empty?  2nd I have heard that its not good
for the fuel pump either.  I think that you are crazy to let your tank
go to see how many gallons it takes.   I think you should write to VW
and telll them how you feel.

- ---Bunmar@aol.com wrote:

> On November 28, 1997, Larry wrote

  My question is how many miles can I drive before I am near an empty
tank?  Why is this tank sooo small?"
 Well at about 285, I was pulling away from a restaurant and my car
> started to sputter (the first time I've ever come that close to
running out
> of gas).
> Knowing that I wouldn't make it home that way, I pulled a U-turn and
> sputtered
> back down the road about 300 feet to the gas station (it was pure
luck that
> the
> gas station was there.)  Anyway, I said to myself that this has got
to be the
> closest you could come to filling the tank.  Well, to my surprise, I
was only
> able to put 13 gallons into the tank.  What I don't understand is
that if VW
> is
> making a claim that you can put about 15 gallons into these tanks,
where's
> the
> proof?  Especially if I just proved that on an empty sputtering car,
13 gallons is the capacity?
 Whenever I have low fuel, I'll never let it go too far, because the
tank