Re: Day time running lights...

>ok, i have had it with my day time running lights in my '97 glx.
this has
>probably been asked and answered a million times, but i guess i
missed it.
>does anyone know how to disable that feature??  i do not want them
anymore...
>please help quickly!!
>                        chris

Chris,

I found this a few months ago.  Did it on my '97 and it works.  I
haven't noticed any side effects at all.  I hope it helps!

Bryan

- -------begin paste--------
From:              GTi VR6 <Gtixer@aol.com>
 Newsgroups:    rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
 Subject:           97 GTi DRL possible easy defeat !!
 Date:               26 Jun 1997 16:17:53 GMT

I have my 97 GTi VR6 with DRL lights, well on a mirror of this site it
gave info on how to remove DRLs without buying anything for a 95 or
96,
Golf, it is about the same for a 97 GTi (or Golf) but the wire is not
in location 10 on the light switch box, it seems to be in 14-or 15,
and
you really dont need to cut it, i dont think, so read on and i hope
this
helps all (if not, post your own personal fix !!).

First   remove the small plastic plate that the ABS light is located
under,
        that would be the left bottom corner plastic plate piece on
the left
        of the light switch box (includes the dimmer switch, all one
box).

Second, remove the light switch box, it is a whole piece that slides
out
        by pressing in on a little popup stopper on the left upper
corner
        close to the front on the side of the little box.  Then slip
it
        forward...

Third,  remove the back wire harness.  Fourth, see a little yellow
wire top row, i believe number 14- or 15?
        dont cut it!! dont really need to, you might want the DRLs to
        work again...

Fifth, take electrical tape and cover up the little prong that the
yellow
       wire in the harness plugs into on the back of the light box.
You
       wont need much electrical tape.  When you plug the harness back
in
       to the light switch box, the tape covers up the contact thereby
       cutting power to the ignition controlled DRL light power
connection

<<joy>>  now you can turn your lights on, or off.  Its good for safety
to have them on, so turn them on..by YOURSELF !!!  DRLs remind me of
auto seat belts the usa had for a while...
I did this 3 days ago, seems to work....any suggestions, or comments,
please let me know...when this post gets erased, i will repost on
occasion....
enjoy,
GTi VR6'in
97 GTi VR6 mod.airbox, Autotech Chip, NO DRLs!!! soon:throttle body..