Subject: Re: miles
Author:  Non-HP-owner-jettaglx (owner-jettaglx@igtc.com) at HP-PaloAlto,mimegw6
Date:    5/19/97 9:32 AM

After having my GLX in the body shop (cracked front grille) for 4 days I could
not wait to get it back.  And man does it feel brand new again!  Well anyways, I

was poking under the hood last weekend just to see if I can actually take out
the air filter on my own.  Wow it was really crammed in there!  Well I as I dug
deeper trying to see what I can clean I noticed this little mesh filter under
the ait filter itself.  At first it looked ok but I decided to take it out
anyways.  I was shocked to see how much dirt was caked on it.  There was only
about 1/4 section of the half sphere mesh what wasn't covered with dirt.  No
wonder my engine felt like it had a sore throat!  After washing the filter with
hot water and finally getting the airbox back in place, my engine feels a lot
more responsive (or it could simply be my imagination).  I suggest for anyone in

this list to start cleaning that filter regularly.  Now for the questions:

1. Could most of the dirt I found on the airbox intake filter consist of brake
dust from the right wheel?  If so maybe it's time to find brake pads that are
not as dusty or maybe run the tube towards the front for some cooler and maybe
cleaner air.

2.  My girlfriend is in Burbank right now and I was wondering if there is a car
shop close for her to get me some stuff (K&N filter and maybe some tinted
blinker covers).  I'd appreciate it if you try to get her as far away from south

central as possible =)

Well thats all folks.  Have fun revvin...

PS: My car just turned 1 yr this weekend with 21k miles on it.  I love it!

- --Jay