Re: Octane ratings

>Hey, and since you mentioned it, what OCTANE do they recommend you put in
>these little beasts?  My buddy works where I bought my car as the head mechanic
>(manager) and he said the cheap stuff is fine....  I think I prefer about 89
>or even the 92 octance stuff. I can ONLY find in my manual that it should be
>a minimum of 86 octane - unleaded!!!

VR6 runs reasonably well with any octane fuel from US gas stations.

Still, there is a noticeable perfomance difference between 86 and 92
octanes.  I checked the gas mileage, too, and it appeared that it got
significantly worse as I was using lower octane fuel (so much for the
savings from using cheaper gasoline!).

Furthermore, 92 octane fuel is supposedly cleaner.  A friend of mine, who is
into car racing, claims that at-the-pump cost is offset by the long-term
cost for maintenace of fuel injectors, pistons, and other internal engine
parts that get clogged up with gunk.  Kinda makes sense, but I don't know if
it's true.

A sticker on my fuel cap says something like "91 or higher octane rating
recommended".  So, for now, I will keep using 91 and 92 octane fuel, unless
someone convinces me otherwise.

Vojin