Re: roof rack carrier bars = wind noise?

At 10:22 AM 6/22/97 -0600, you wrote:

>Have any of you had your GLX a while before adding carrier bars? I ask
>because I'm wondering if the bars add a noticeable amount of wind noise
>when the sunroof is open or even when it's closed when the car is driven at
>higher speeds.

To reduce the wind noise, you can install a fairing. There was a tread in
the watercooled VW newsgroup a few months back about obtaining a kit from
your VW dealer that allows the installation of a Thule fairing on the
factory rack. I find my car (with the roof open) is now quieter with the
fairing and rack than before either were installed.

>And apart from people picking on you to help them move things, are there
>any other negatives associated with the bars that I should know about? It's
>not as if I need them or anything. It's just that GLX's can look so sexy
>with them. :->

I remove mine as much as poosible since the footpads will mar your roof. To
reduce that chance of damage, always remove the rack and clean the footpads
when you wash your car.

			   Dave Rizzolo
			dv8studio@ids.net

	     "Designers solve other people's problems,
		     artists create their own."