Jetta GLX Exhaust: Which one to get?

A few words about exhaust and other engine related mods...

I think everyone on this list that has done engine mods, plus those that
have been on the GTI list for a while will concur: it is very difficult to
wring much performance out of the VR6 motor. ESPECIALLY on a cost to
benefit ratio.

With the exception of a chip modification and a K&N filter, there is little
you can do to improve the performance of your VR6 motor inexpensively. Even
mods like exhaust, schrick VSR intake, headers, cams, etc. don't give BIG
improvements to go along with their BIG price tags. I think VW really did
what they could to wring the performance out of this mill. Sure, you can
add a few things to make it SOUND cooler, and it may subjectively "feel"
quicker, but chances are that you won't see big HP and/or Torque
improvements.

Suspensions mods are another thing completely. You will notice immediate
improvements in ride, handling, looks, etc. This is where your hard earned
money will see more return on your investment.

The best thing you can do is try and drive someones car that has the mods
you are thinking of doing and judge for yourself. When Chris Collier
stopped here in Chicago to visit we were all racing around in our cars and
out of the six of us in various GLX's and GTI's (some heavily modded, some
stock), NO one car was dramatically faster than the others. Some handled
substantially better than others, but on a straight line, none were
tremendously quicker.

I just wanted to pass this experience along if anyone is considering mods.

Cheers!

- -jamie

jamie vondruska                              http://www.vwvortex.com
jamie@obs.net                                    Oak Brook, Illinois

'95 Red Jetta GLX                          "Go big or stay home"  :)