Re: P-chip vs Autothority chip

Jim,

Congratulations!  You got right back on the horse!

OK, my opinions on the chip are only qualitative.  I tried, in the same
day, both the OBD-II P-chip and the OBD-II Autothority chip.  They both
improved performance, but the Autothority proved to be better.  I felt a
difference in the mid-rpm area as well as the high-rpm area with the
Autothority chip.  With the P-chip, just in the high-rpm area.  The
Autothority chip just had more "pep".  No problems so far (it has been 3
plus months) at all; no cold start probs or check engine lights.  Smooth
idle and acceleration.  I think Autothority did more work and spent more
time getting more out of their chip, as they didn't release the OBD-II
chip until this spring (I supposedly got the first "customer" chip).
The only drawback is price; I think the Autothority retails for $200,
while the P-chip is $100.
John Zydell
'96 black Jetta GLX 5-speed
Autothority Chip, K&N drop-in, Mobil 1 15W-50, euro switch, 35% tinted
windows,
tinted side marker lights, tinted fog light covers