Re: BUG in Cruise Control on 97 GLX?!?

On Mon, Dec 22, 1997 at 11:57:01PM -0800, Khan M. Klatt wrote:
> Anyway, so not realizing that I've for some reason shifted into neutral, I
> hit the cruise button.

...without using the clutch, I imagine.  The owner's manual
(at least on the '98) warns you about this.  The clutch disables
the cruise control; if you don't use it, the computer will attempt
to maintain the road speed by increasing the throttle; if it's in
neutral, the engine will race.  It won't "blow up" because of the
RPM limiter, but it isn't generally a Good Thing.

I had to get out of the habit of shifting without the clutch; it
doesn't work as well in the new Jetta as it does in my '85 Golf.
Maybe I just havn't learned the gears as well yet, but with the
cruise, it's a danger.

If you ARE using the clutch, the sensor switch may be jammed.
Cruise should be disabled as soon as you touch the clutch, just
like it does with the brake.  The cruise wasn't working at all
on my new '98 when I got it, because the switch was "misadjusted".

- --
     /// Stefan Hudson <hudson@mbay.net>
__  /// Senior Network Administrator - Monterey Bay Internet
\\\/// http://www.mbay.net/  -  Email: info@mbay.net
 \XX/ Voice: 408-642-6100  Fax: 408-642-6101  Modem: 408-642-6102