Re: Resonator

<< i was looking at a new Volvo V70 on sunday and looked underneath at the
 exhaust layout and the only muffler that it has is a slightly larger
 version of our "suitcase"  has anyone tried replacing the muffler with a
 straight pipe and leaving the suitcase in place?  what would the benefits,
 if any, be?

I replaced my exhaust early on my 95 GLX because I wanted a better looking
tip.  Mine came with two noncoated downward curled pipes.  UGGGLLYY!!  I
purchased a SS Autotech system.  Originally, their system replaced the
suitcase with a straitpipe.  It did seem to provide some additional power
(probably in my head only), but the noise on the highway was too much.
 Arround town was OK - actually better than OK.  But, I put the suitcase back
in as a spent too many hours on the highway to listen to the noise.

I see now that Autotech now supplies a "glasspack" type in its place.  I have
not switched, but plan to when the suitcase rusts out - probably this winter
based on my last inspection.

- -Steve