Re: VW warranty

At 03:58 PM 7/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm new to the group. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is
>Steven Joseph Mann. My friends call me Joe. And a few folks around the
>office call me Jettamann. After my undying love for my Sequoia Green 95
>Jetta GLX. I reside in Sunny (and damn hot!) Austin, TX. "Live Music
>Capital Of The World."
>
>I come to you with a warranty question:
>I dropped off my Jetta this morning for scheduled maintenance at one of
>those fancy drive-in-toss'm-the-keys, 100 bay dealerships, Charles Mound
>VW.  In the process I asked them to fix and look at a few things.
>
>- Squeaky front door panels
>- Refasten both head rest covers on front seats
>- Reattach outside color coded door trim on right front door. (what's up
>with the double sided tape?!)
>- Look into why I've had to add two quarts of oil in the last year/7,000
>miles. But see no leaks.
>- Oh ya, and do that scheduled maintenance thingy...
>
>Well...They proceeded to tell me that the squeaky door panels, head rest
>covers and colored door trim were NOT covered after the first year!  I
>check the warranty book and it says that all material or workmanship is
>covered for 2 years or 24,000 miles. The dealer said these were
>"adjustment items" and were not covered. I currently have a call into VW
>Customer Relations.
>
>Your opinions, advise and experience would be greatly appreciated.
>
>OH, HEY, Hold on!  I just got a call from the dealership. VW-CS called
>them and authorized the door trim and head rest, but NOT the squeaky
>door panel.  But, the service manager said they use automotive Teflon
>tape to fix the door panels?? I guess I'll take care of that myself.
>
>Thank for you time and advise in advance,
>
>Joe
>(Jettamann)
>joem@pswtech.com
>
>Joe, I think the information your dealer told you about "adjustments" is
incorrect. I work at a VW/Audi dealer and consulted with VW policy manual
3/97. I have started to make copies and will scan for anyone interested.
According to VW Policy Manual Article 1 page 13 states "Service Adjustments
(mechanical adjustments) on VWOA vehicles not associated with the
replacement of parts are not covered after the 1st year or 12,000
miles,whichever comes first. To me a squeaking door pnael is not a part of
the car that requires periodic servicing. How come all VW door panels don't
squeak? How come all VW'w sooner or later will need a wheel alignment.
Alignments,tire balancing yes, door squeaks or rattles no. I would ask your
dealer to refer to this page.

Don