Re: Autocross info...

On Apr 14,  9:24am, jamie vondruska wrote:
> Subject: Autocross info...
> Is anyone on this list Autocrossing their GLX? I was curious about setups
> that are being used and what classes people are competing in.

I recently began autox'ing mine.  Only been to two events, the first of which
was a "practice" day.  In the second event, I won 3rd place, NOVICE class.

In stock class, the GLX is in GS class, according to SCCA rules.  The only
changes I made to my car are the use of an ABT filter, and removal of the
snorkel in the top of the airbox.  (Later, I found out that technically,
removal of the snorkel isn't legal in a stock class.)  I'm also using Dunlop SP
SPORT 4000's, instead of the crappy GA's.  (Most serious autox'ers change to
autox tires at the track, though.  B/F Goodrich Comp T/A R1's seems to be the
most popular choice around here.)

There's a guy in our club who does VERY well, in his '95 GTI VR6.  He's done
about all the modifications you can do and stay stock.  He uses Bilstein
shocks/struts (but the stock springs), upgraded brake pads (not sure what
kind), K&N filter, Brosal exhaust...  He's even got a full cage inside the car.
 He almost always wins his class...  (He also drives on 3 wheels more than
anyone I've seen!)

The GLX's biggest shortcoming is it's body-roll, and tendency to lean.  This of
course can be remedied with aftermarket suspension, but if you change the
springs, you'll move from stock to street-prepared.  And in street-prepared,
the GLX is in CSP - tough competition!

Hope some of this is useful to you!
David