Re: GLX experiences

On Apr 2,  8:03pm, Flyin'S wrote:

> >One more question: Are alignment problems common with the GLX?  I have
> >a friend who had a Passat that went out of alignment way too often. As
> >of February (9000 miles) my car was veering to the right on flat,
> >smooth roads.  The car also pulls to the right on hard accelerations
> >-- a service manager said that's because the right wheel is the drive
> >wheel.  Should this be happening?

Ya know, I've had similar alignment problems.  It felt fine when I first got
it.  But, it quickly worked it's way to (what I think was) a mis-alignment.
 I've had an alignment done several times, and each time, it feels great for a
while, but quickly starts pulling again.  This seems to be more severe with
older tires.  Once, I thought it was totally out of alignment, and I also
needed new tires.  I asked my TRUSTED INDEPENDENT (ie., NON-VW-DEALER) VW
MECHANIC to put on the new tires, and do the alignment.  When I came back, he
had put on the tires, but said, "I don't think it needs an alignment."  I drove
it, and he was right!  The new tires made all the difference in the world!

As far as pulling to the right on hard acceleration - I think the dealer is
wrong about "the right wheels is the drive wheel".  (Uh, the GLX has TWO drive
wheels, sir, and unless you're spinning out and the traction-control is
operating, both of them are turning...)  Anyway, most front-wheel-drive cars
with a lot of power exhibit torque-steer.  It seems to be worst in cars with
unequal-lenth drive-shafts going to each wheel (which I think is the case on
the GLX.)  (I remember an older Eclipse front-wheel-drive turbo that jerked the
wheel out of my hands one time on hard acceleration!)  Just remember to hang on
tight!

David
anderson@msai.mea.com