Las Vegas predictions

While awaiting the playoffs, here are the pre-season Las Vegas odds
followed by each team's final season standings.  On balance, the gurus
did pretty well.  Notable over-achieving surprises were Denver, Utah,
Indiana, Milwaukee, and Memphis.  Major under-achieving surprises
were Orlando, Phoenix, Philly, and Chicago.

Of interest to those who have followed the Knick/Isiah saga, is
that for all of Isiah's moves upon taking over the mess of a team
he inherited, the Knicks were predicted pre-season to finish 17th
(assuming a healthy McDyess), and that is just where they finished
without him.  I suppose that is a step forward since they are now
without the McDyess contract.  And to think I once felt they had
stolen the oft-injured McDyess, who I considered as the next
premier PF in the EC if healthy, for the oft-injured Camby.  Of
course I also erroneously considered it a coup for Orlando when
they signed both McGrady and Hill. Injuries, injuries.

As for our Celts, post Toine trade the ODDS GODS predicted
that at 50-1 odds we would finish in a tie for 13th place
with 45 wins.  Final rank: 20th place with 36 wins.

But who cares about this past throwaway season anyway?
Let all us long-suffering but patient and understanding
(well some of you anyway) Celt fans instead concentrate on
the lollipop trees and gumdrop bushes of Danny's future dreams.
Let us fold his magical vision to our bosoms and allow it to
dance freely on our psyches like so many sugarplum fairies.
Let us, well at least the most loyal among us, optimistically look
forward to yet another rebuilding season in 2004-05 to make up for
2003-04, and afford us to look hopefully to yet another in
2005-06, and another in 2006-07,  and another ... ad infinitum.

----------------------
Pre-season rank         LV Odds (Final season rank)
1  LA Lakers            6-5         (4)
2  Sacramento Kings     9-2     (5)
3  San Antonio Spurs    5-1     (3)
4  Dallas Mavericks     12-1        (7)
5  NETS                 15-1        (9)
6  PISTONS              20-1        (6)
7  Minnesota Wolves     25-1        (2)
8  Houston Rockets  30-1        (10)
9  PACERS               40-1        (1)
10 HORNETS          45-1        (14)
10 76ers                45-1        (22)
10 Phoenix Suns         45-1        (24)
13 CELTICS          50-1        (20)
13 MAGIC                50-1        (29)
13 Portland Blazers     50-1        (14)
16 RAPTORS          60-1        (22)
17 KNICKS               65-1        (17)
18 LA Clippers          75-1        (25)
18 HEAT                 75-1        (12)
20 BULLS                100-1       (28)
20 Golden St. Warriors100-1     (18)
20  BUCKS               100-1       (14)
23 Seattle Sonics       115-1       (18)
24 CAVALIERS            150-1       (21)
25 HAWKS                200-1       (25)
25 Denver Nuggets   200-1       (11)
25 WIZARDS          200-1       (27)
28 Utah Jazz            300-1       (12)
(Memphis missing from list)     (8)