Re: Okafor

At 03:18 PM 4/7/2004, Mark Piotrowski wrote:
very good point Kim -- one that yes i'd been putting out of my mind for the time being -- but let me pose a couple counter questions:

given the concern -- but assuming that he's worth the risk -- how might you tweak what we offer? i.e. just 2 #1s and Mihm? I guess that's why i was trying to have gooden included.

I'm really not good at the virtual GM stuff, but that's a deal I would certainly make. I understand the need to get better and draft picks as a route to that but I really don't want us adding 3 rookies unless we're planning on a complete urban renewal blow up vs trying to build at least in part on the run around Pierce while he's in his prime. And while I like Mihm, I don't have vast warm fuzzies that he'll ever live up the promise of that athleticism. So you're giving up a young big man with relatively known issues but still worth seeing in terms of potential plus a pick I don't necessarily want us using for a younger big man with more unknowns (starting with just the switch to the NBA) but a considerably greater potential upside. One problem though - at his height, Okafor's natural NBA position is PF vs center. And we lose both Blount and Mihm without replacing them and we have issues there. Perkins is likely the center of the future, but he still needs backup and someone to practice against that can push him. Gooden is also really a PF...

With the Rookie Pay scale its not like taking Sam Bowie or signing Hill or Mourning and having them on your cap forever.

Yup, entirely valid point.
OTOH, I'm tired of listening to the whining about how we screwed up the amazing opportunity of the last time we had 3 picks and don't really want to hear -or watch on the court- the sequel. It's a key turning point to get it right if we're going to advance within the next few years, even if it's a matter of the right deal vs the right drafting with them.

I'm willing to gamble with Welsch (since we have Pierce and Davis),

Borderline, although I still don't consider him interchangeable with Pierce or Davis (the Cs apparently are on your side with this, given the rotations), since they play such different games and Jiri is the only one of the three who has made those around him better to any significant degree. Something that he himself can get better at too and that is a huge part of taking the next step to solidify greater individual talent with better team play. Sorry, I'm a virtual coach at heart, not a virtual GM and tend to think more in terms of better using what we have : )

Blount (since he's probalby going to leave anyways), and the #1 picks (since probably 1 would be a stater, 1 a role player and one a miss (based on the law of averages?))

Yes to both.

because IMO a Pierce/Davis + a Hunter/LaFrentz/Okafor/Perkins frontline could/would rival Detroit, Indy and the West.

Yup, could be, so long as the back and height (yeah, I know, but NBA is worlds apart from college up front) aren't real issues. One thing you don't mention BTW, that I think is worth considering, is that even though he would be a rookie, from what I've seen, I think Okafor would take a significant amount of pressure off Perkins to ease his transition to significant minutes as an NBA center and might provide him with some of that challenge in practice despite the different positions. Perkins coming out right can play a big part in our future in the center challenged east.

Kim