Re: Okafor

The problem with a sign and trade is that Blount would have to agree to it. At this point, I don't think he is going to be willing to do a single thing to help Ainge. The only way would be if it were for a boatload more of money. But as noted, either way the money Blount gets will be right around the same number.

From: Mark Piotrowski <markp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Celtics <celtics@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Okafor
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:15:11 -0400

On Apr 7, 2004, at 2:35 PM, Berry, Mark S wrote:

Mark P., the only problem with your scenario is signing and trading
Blount. It's my understanding now that we can't do that. Maybe I'm
wrong, but I think the Celts would have to use some or all of their
mid-level exception to sign him, something Orlando could do just as
easily. A sign-and-trade really doesn't benefit him, unless that's where
he wants to go anyway and he agrees to it to help balance the numbers
for the trade. But that seems unlikely.

My understanding -- WHICH MAY BE WRONG but is based on my reading of Larry Coon's Salary Cap FAQs -- is that we have Blount's Early Bird rights and can offer him the average salary or 175% of what he makes now (whichever is greater -- the avg. in Blount's case). The MLE is defined -- as well -- as the average salary.

So unless someone -- Miami, Utah, Golden St.? -- offeres Blount more than the Avg. salary (around $5 mil) the amount is going to be the same if he signs with a team for the MLE or we sign and trade him to that same team.

The benefit to the C's, Blount and that team -- say Orlando in this case -- is that they won't have to use the MLE on Blount and can then add additional talent to the team.

I believe though that Blount would prefer to go wherever Obrien ends up -- UNLESS that team won't give Blount the MLE. But in Orlando's case it would behoove them to sign-and-trade for him.

No, I'm sure Orlando would want all three No. 1 picks, Banks, Welsch and
Mihm, with us taking back Okafor and a bad contract - probably Garrity,
maybe Juwan Howard.

If we give up Banks AND Welsch we have to get Gooden back, IMO. Or get a future #1 from Orlando, keep one of our #1s or get their 2nd round pick (the 1st 2nd round pick).

That's why i'm hoping it can be Banks OR Welsch AND Blount.

It would pain me to give up Jiri, who I think is a winning team kind of
player. And I wouldn't be wild about giving up Mihm, but let's face it -
the Magic need a center and they're sure to ask about him. I can live
with trading Banks, although I'd like to see them try to hold onto one
of those draft picks to take a developmental point guard to groom behind
Chucky.

Anyway, I think Okafor is a difference-maker and a winner. He's a
warrior. He's a cross between Alonzo Mourning and Kenyon Martin. That's
good enough for me.

I guess i'm more and more sold that he is a difference maker too -- which is why i'd at least entertain giving up so much for him. And I guess I view as Blount and Welsch as the most expendable desireable players (since Stewart and McCarty IMO are the most expendable but not particularly desireable).

(the other) mark

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page  FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/