Re: 2001 draft?

Not to beat a dead horse, Pete, but they also took Kedrick
ahead of Jefferson.  I liked Joe, and still would rate him ahead
of Jefferson as a talent, but there isn't one GM in the NBA that
wouldn't rather have Jefferson now, Jefferson tomorrow, and
Jefferson forever (to coin a phrase.)
Have you spoken to every GM?

I couldn't disagree more. Paul Pierce called the Joe Johnson trade one of the
worst in Celtics history - he wasn't pining for RJ.

Joe is the more skilled player - capable of playing PG at times something
that RJ couldn't even dream off - note his superior assist numbers. He is putting
up VERY good overall numbers now that Stephon has left. Jefferson is also an
older player and as such his Joe's numbers are all that more impressive. Yes
even one year matters in judging the development of an NBA player. You don't
know how much further Joe will develop with another year of maturation.. RJ for
example only averaged 15.5 ppg at Joe's age. Joe is potentially ahead of him
already.

I think that the 2001 draft will prove to be significantly better then could
be reasonably be expected. Joe could well be the second best player taken in
that draft - behind only Zach Randolph. Moreover I still think Kedrick will be
a a fair to good NBA player - in the long run. He has impressive physical
ability, a willingness to work and an effective outside shot. In time he could
well develop the necessary skill set to take better advantage of his athletic
ability. Namely a better feel for the slashing game - and a better mental
approach (in the game). People don't want to hear this - but its not at all
unprecedented. Their are numerous players in the NBA who had to develop their games in
places like the CBA before rising to stardom - because they lacked the
necessary NBA skill set.

But even if he never pans out (like Mosio) I do think picking the second best
player in the draft out with the top ten pick is nothing to scoff at with the
picks the Celtics had.

What the sports second guessers are doing is akin to asking for a stock
broker to be fired because he wasn't able to predict the top 3 performing stocks
over the next three years

.Its unreasonable.. The best we can ask is that the stock brocker be able to
significantly outperform the market. Since Papile and Wallace plucked the
second best player in the draft (arguably) we can hardly complain, IMHO. Only in
sports would such unreasonable expectations be given serious consideration.

If you want to question something - question the Joe Johnson trade not the
drafting of the guy. He has proven to be an excellent pick.

Pete