Points per FG attempt and Bird vs Pierce

This statistic is misleading because it does not take into account the number
of possessions a player "uses" by shooting FTs.  Although going to the FT line
is good, we should not ignore that it consumes a possession and from this
point of view it is like a FG attempt.  So, when comparing Bird's points/FG
attempt ratio to that of Pierce, you should also take into account how many
times they went to the FT line to get their points.  I'd assume that Pierce
gets a higher percentage of his points from the FT line.  It's almost
impossible to compile the right stat though as trips to the FT line for 2 or 3
FTs (vs 1 for technicals and fouls after a FG made) is not a statistic readily
available.  Nontheless, a more appropriate statistic would be

points/(FG attempts + trips to the FT like for 2 or 3 FTs + TOs)

Perhaps one could argue that the assists should be included here, one way or
another.  I leave it at that.

Do not get stuck to silly statistics that people devise.  Analyze it to see
what it really means.

SA