Re: Vescey on Heinsohn, Pierce

>>Heinsohn did say "When it's all said and done, Paul Pierce may very well be
>>Boston's best offensive player of all time." It's far from said and done.
>>Pierce could achieve that level. Bird had all kinds of fire power along side
>>himself, yet he wasn't shy for firing it up. In fact many time he was
>>criticized by press and the like just for that. Time will tell. Let's not
>>get carried away, Heinsohn did say *may very well be* with *may* being the
>>key word.

I'm of the opinion that it's almost impossible to compare players of
different era's in just about any sport because of the many intangibles involved.
This may be true for basketball more than any other sport, although an argument
could be made for baseball as well.
Twenty-five years ago basketball was an offensive game.  No one would argue
that fact. Faster paced, more points, more shots attempted, less physical play
allowed.  Now it is much more a defensive game.  Zones, double teams off the
ball, instant computer analysis of each team...each player...each in bounds
strategy.  There are no secrets in today's NBA.
With that said, and after reading Mr. Vescey's comments and comments like his
elsewhere , I couldn't help but satisfy my own curiosity on the subject of
points to field goal attempts.  I think what I found will surprise most fans.

Bird got his 10,000 points in 436 games, which would put that 37 games into
the '85 season. I didn't have a game by game summary for that season. So I
estimated 814 attempts based on his 1760 attempts in 80 games (1760/ 80= 22
attempts x 37 games = 814 attempts).
With that 814 added to his previous five years total of  7,403 that would
mean Bird reached 10,000 points on 8,217 attempts.
   As per Basketball Reference.com
http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=BIRDLA01

                            Pierce: 431 games 7,707 attempts 10,013 points
As per NBA.com
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/paul_pierce/index.html

Two totally different players who played in different styles in different
era's.
This isn't meant as a comparison between the two, but as an argument against
those who want to try to some how lessen an accomplishment by rhetoric like
Mr. Vescey's.

TAM