Vescey on Heinsohn, Pierce

"
Tommy Heinsohn normally saves his rave reviews for those decked in Celtics
green. Which makes the imperious broadcaster's pure praise of Artest's
defense, effort and all-around excellence especially meaningful. At the same
time, Heinsohn sent me into a fit of Hooping cough when he blasphemously
decreed, "When it's all said and done, Paul Pierce may very well be Boston's
best offensive player of all time."

Really! How so? Because Pierce notched his 10,000th point in five fewer games
than Bird? Because for the last four seasons he and Antoine Walker took all of
Boston's shots and wanted more? Because Pierce is apt to hoist up more shots
each evening than three Celtics starters combined? Because Bird went to work
for another franchise? Because he had the misfortune to play alongside Kevin
McHale and Robert Parish as well as Dennis Johnson, Cedric Maxwell, Ainge,
Bill Walton and Gerald Henderson? Because Bird made the mistake of sharing the
ball with accomplished teammates and winning championships?

Then again, Heinsohn's probably right. Yo, Tommy, hand me a Magic Marker, will
ya? Let's cross out the "33" that's on the banner hanging from the ceiling and
change it to "34."  "