Fwd: Re: Ainge Watch Ainge Watch Ainge Watch

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster.
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:41:41 -0800 (PST)
From: R Howe <regmanw6@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Ainge Watch Ainge Watch Ainge Watch
To: Way Of The Ray <wayray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ray,

Let me preface that I like the background buzz/info you have brought to the list over the past few years, not all perfect but who is. I like this post also. Keep up the good work.

I like the job that Ainge, in general, is doing. My opinion, which I realize is in the minority, is that Ainge is making good progress in overhauling the good ship USS Celts and is ahead of schedule in many respects. Ainge has made some mistakes for sure, for example his job of communications and handling expectations, in keeping Obie, when everyone knew it was a marriage of expedience. I also can see how his style may rub folks the wrong way, He is not as nuanced as lets say Jerry West and the "conventional wisdom" media pros (Kevin Blackstones in life) don't like him. So how does this amature opinion of mine fit your post? In that I think people miss his ability to judge talent and willingness to take long range gambles on players that fit his vision of style of play. I think next year we will come out of the shipyard much more sea worthy than in the last few years with hopefully a new ship's Captain, able to exploit new weapons that Ainge has acquired or been developed over the
 off-season and training camp.

I am happy that you are chronicling Ainge's work to look at all prospects, high or low in stature with his own eyes, maybe observe personalities in a practice setting, not relying on just game footage. To me is a good thing when making decisions on roster spots and cap dollars.. No?

As far as looking at a Dorell Wright or anyone who is not projected to come out this year, could it be that he is looking at him now to gather a baseline impression for a possible decision point a couple years down the road? If so good job! Danny stay on the road and keep scouting, keep scheming to P.O. your critics.

Go Celts

wayray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
This is your official "Ainge Watch" station....

- Ainge called "Worst GM" since Michael Jordan by Kevin Blackstone
of Dallas Morning News

- O'Donnell of the Chi Sun Times sees Phil Jackson as a candidate for next
Celtics coach.

- Keeping track of Ainge's whereabouts, as he prepares for the upcoming
draft. He checked out Rony Turiaf (could be a late first-rounder) and Blake Stepp
(early to mid-second round) of Gonzaga the other night;
was at Central Maine Institute the other day, spent the week before at
South Kent Prep in Connecticut, possibly cutting a deal with Dorell Wright,
who's supposedly declaring for the draft. Very odd, in that no one and I mean no one,
has him in the first round, and it's extremely unlikely he's entering the draft, unless he's
been promised to be chosen in the first round.

A couple weeks back, Ainge was observing Duke and NC, hopefully
watching SOA Player Sheldon Williams, a PF in the mold of Boozer
and Brand.

Oh yeah, and the Celtics are scouting
Immanuel McElroy of Gary in the CBA.

Ray
Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster.