Re: Twan rearing his ugly head

Many would argue that every one of Danny's trades have been for guys that have more talent than the ones he shipped out.. AND.. that he has not taken on any unmovable contracts. You say Raef could never be traded. Many disagree with that. He was traded to us, wasn't he? And now another year is gone from his deal since then, which if we go by your Antoine logic, only makes Raef's deal more attractive. Plus, despite your saying that he is not, Raef IS actually a young guy.

Ricky could easily be moved. Same with Mihm, Atkins, or Stewart. Danny is not taking on contracts that he will be stuck with. He could move anyone on this roster at any time.

From: Sean Giovanello <sgiovanello@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Shawn Niles <shizzjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx,  jahill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,  celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Twan rearing his ugly head
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:35:39 -0500

If you have a guy that can judge talent it can work. If you have a guy who is not universally hated (Krause), it can work. There are risks to every strategy. Regardless, I am not talking about nuking the Celts down to a CBA roster and playing for draft picks and the hope to lure a prize free agent and rebuild. I am talking about a strategy for building/managing a team (I call it the anti-Pitino philosophy) where you try never to take on a contract you will have trouble moving and in every deal you want to be sensitive to those issues. About the only time you would want a long term contract is when its a young guy at a reasonable salary or if you are getting an elite player. Raef is neither of those. I think its moves that ignore this that doom a team like the C's. If Danny does not realize that, I think that regardless of his eye for talent (which he has) that he will ultimately be a failure here.

Shawn Niles wrote:

Clearing cap space worked really well for Orlando and Chicago. Teams are starting to realize that clearing cap space is not the best way to build your team.