Re: Marcus Banks and last-second shots

On Monday, March 8, 2004, at 11:49 AM, Mark Piotrowski wrote:

On Mar 8, 2004, at 2:07 PM, Berry, Mark S wrote:

I have little tolerance for players playing selfishly, and that was what
this felt like with Marcus. This wasn't the first time it happened, just
the most blatant.

good point -- i'm curious what is going through Marcus' head. At best it appears to have been some form of passive-aggressiveness...not a good sign. But for now i'm still willing to chalk it up to being a immature rookie, and pray that i'm right.

I saw the play, and at the time I wondered why he didn't shoot it? But is that instance enough to condemn this guy? I mean so he didn't heave a half court shot. He got his ass chewed out. It will probably be the last time that happens.
Speaking of which, did anyone happen to see the half court shot Memphis executed, out of a timeout, with 2 seconds left in the half last night. A thing of beauty. That team is going to be scary for whoever gets them in the first round. I don't know how many of you followed the lottery last year, but memphis was a whisker away from getting the #1 pick. Just imagine that? Instead Detroit cashed in on that horrible deal.

As for Pierce, I'm growing frustrated. He was lousy much of last season
and he has been lousy this season (and when I say lousy, I mean it in
relative terms). Is he top 12-20 in the NBA. Absolutely. But that's not
his reputation, at least as far as most Celtic fans go. Two years ago we
were comparing him to Kobe and T-Mac. Now, he's not in those
conversations.

He's a good player. Sometimes very good. But he's not a great player who
can elevate a team.

I'll admit to sharing in your frustration, but i'm also confused by Pierce -- which is maybe the source of my (perhaps naive) hope about him.

I totally agree that Pierce is going through some serious struggles right now. Having said that, anyone who watched the game yesterday saw that as soon as he made a move he was often double and triple teamed. He's carrying a heavy load this year considering the circumstances. Still he has to play smart, and lately he's wanted to relive those moments of dropping a 3 at the buzzer. I have faith that Danny will give him an earful this off season. No doubt Danny will use Twan as an example of what happens to selfish max players. They will be looking at a minimum 50% cut in pay their next contract. Still, even after Pierce's horrible shot selection, he does a lot of things on the court that carry this team. He was 2 assists away from a triple double vs Washington yet some people still called him a loser. Still a lot of sour grapes on the vine.