Re: Mark Blount "Instrument" and other miscellaneous thoughts (long)

On Mar 2, 2004, at 1:07 PM, R. Singh wrote:

Mark,

If Blount is an unrestricted free agent, Boston cannot protect him.  So
that slot could be filled by Atkins.  From what I've read, Charlotte is
interested in building around young, low priced players so I don't see
them selecting LaFrentz if he were left unprotected.

Assuming Blount is unrestricted (I don't know for sure), I'd protect:

Banks
Davis
Hunter
Mihm
Perkins
Pierce
Welsch
Atkins

...and speculate that Jumaine Jones gets selected by Charlotte. The
only issue assuming the Celtics are that high on LaFrentz is the
scenario in which the Bobcats take LaFrentz and then trade him to a team
that wants him. For the big money he's making, I'm not sure how
realistic that scenario is however.

In my opinion though you take that risk and protect Atkins -- who's on for smaller money.

I don't necessarily want to lose Raef,but the worst case scenario is that LaFrentz gets taken -- but we end up with alot more capspace -- maybe even enough to steal Okur or R. Wallace from Detroit -- and/or are in a much better position to take on a bigger salary player (like McGrady just to be silly) via a trade.

And at that point how silly would getting McGrady be? Would 2 picks + next years #1 +Ricky Davis + Jiri Welsch get it done? Or what about Zach Randolph or Steve Francis?

I'm sure Ainge doesn't want to lose LaFrentz -- but if it meant gaining a considerable amount of capspace -- i don't think he'd mind.

Look for Raef to be unprotected -- and unselected.