From: Mark Piotrowski <markp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mar 1, 2004 11:34 AM
To: Celtics <celtics@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Daivs, Hunter, Payton & the Playoffs

<snip>
2.  Hunter's contract -- In reference to DJessen pointing out that
Hunter will be a Rest. FA after next season and we may be in the
position Detroit (Okur) and San Antonio (Ginobili) are in trying to
sign 2nd rounders who panned out, Snoopy said:

> You have to remember the situation when we got him--we had--back
> then--enough big men that Hunter was not realistically going to see
> playing
> time this season at all.  His excellent play in training camp got him
> the
> contract he now has.  Back then, Vin Baker was looking like comeback
> player
> of the decade, and the team that went to the playoffs was pretty much
> the
> same--Danny didn't start decimating the roster until just before the
> start
> of the regular season, by which time it was too late to think of Hunter
> getting a three year contract.  Even as late as January, there was no
> sign
> that hunter would see anything more than periodic garbage time this
> year.

But the thing DJessen was pointing to was that -- especially as more
and more college seniors and international players who WILL pan out
slide to the 2nd round, having been displaced by *upside* high
schoolers and 18-year old International players -- why would you ever
not sign a 2nd round pick to a 3rd year if you're going to sign them to
2?

The MOST you risk losing is maybe the $1 million of that 3rd year if
they don't pan out.  One of the things that Wyc, et al. said when they
bought the team that brought me the most hope -- but of which I have no
idea if they are doing or not -- is that while all teams are restricted
by the salary cap (speaking i think about Baker, especially) and while
they may not pay the luxury tax or be owners who overspends for talent
like Mark Cuban, that there are plenty of things they could and would
pay for that would improve the team: scouting, looking for
international talent, upgrading facilities.  I guess I see the gamble
of $1 million for a player like Hunter breaking out -- and therefore
being able to keep him w/ Bird Rights after his 3rd year -- as not only
a wise business investment (as wise as resigning McCarty), but one of
those little things that GM/ownership can do to improve the team long
term.  I hope they don't repeat this "mistake" in the future.

<snip>