----- Original Message -----
From: <wayray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> (I think the plan is working fine. Next step is a good expansion and
regular draft.
> Perhaps a trade beforehand.)
>
> JACKIE MACMULLAN
> One has to wonder about plan
> By Jackie MacMullan, Globe Columnist, 1/29/2004
> When the new Celtics ownership group hired Danny Ainge as head of
basketball operations, I heartily applauded the move.
> ADVERTISEMENT document.write('');
> "You'll love him," I told anyone who would listen. "He will be fearless."
> Somewhere along the way, fearless turned into reckless.
> You wonder where Ainge is taking the Celtics. You wonder how the team Jim
O'Brien helped methodically rebuild from the ashes of Rick Pitino's whims
could be torched again so swiftly, easily, and definitively.
> You wonder what Ainge is thinking, because when Jim O'Brien quits on you,
you've got problems.
> Ainge forgot to listen to his coach. Even worse, he forgot to respect him.
In the basketball hierarchy, it was understood Ainge's name would appear one
line above O'Brien's, but the very best managers find a common plane where
the front office and the coach can exist comfortably and work together.
O'Brien quickly learned his input was welcome, but not weighty. In the end,
what he had worked so hard to create was not valued enough by his new boss.
cut