He's gone... thoughts and looking ahead

What a great surprise yesterday. Lots of thoughts...

1.	This was exactly the way we should have expected Obie to go.
He's incomparably stubborn. He's the kind of stubborn that blinds a
person to everything around him. He's so convinced he's right about
everything, that he refuses to accept any other possibility. So it
should come as no surprise that his stubborn streak led him out the
door. "There's only one way to play, and if I can't play that way, I'll
take my ball and go home." Ainge didn't stop him.

2.	Clearly Obie hated the Ricky Davis trade. Can you imagine
leaving a job as coach of the Boston Celtics over Eric Williams? Eric
Williams? I respect EWill for what he was - a loyal soldier and team
leader - but I also see him for what he was as a player - a sub-par
offensive and defensive player who didn't rebound. He was Obie's
lieutenant in the locker room. But does anyone other than Obie see EWill
as a key player on a championship team? Chemistry guys are important,
but only if they're complementing more talented players. Ainge is trying
to bring in the talent. He rightfully figures he can surround them with
the right chemistry guys later. They're a lot easier to come by.

3.	Any guesses as to what triggered this at this time? My bet is
Ainge pushing for more time for Brandon Hunter, less time for McCarty.
Just a guess.

4.	I'm guessing we'll see more of Banks, Hunter and Mihm, less of
McCarty, and glimpses of Perkins.

5.	If I'm the new guy, these are my first changes: A. Banks and
Welsch are my point guards. Banks is ready for an increased workload,
and using Welsch as the backup allows you to get Welsch, Pierce and
Davis on the floor together. This isn't a knock on Mike James, but he's
limited; B. Big minutes for Hunter at PF (and no McCarty there); C. More
minutes for Mihm and some for Perkins; D. Tweak the defensive scheme.
Don't blitz every pick-and-roll. Don't front every post player. Mihm and
Perkins aren't suited to that style, why force them to play it?

6.	I was dreading the morning papers today, and they didn't
disappoint. As expected, they treated it as if Red Auerbach himself had
resigned. No - they treated it as if Red had been fired. Can we please
remember that Obie did this? He quit. If Ainge isn't allowed to make
moves or suggestions to the coach, what is he supposed to do? Isn't that
his job? Everyone agrees Obie is focused on the next game. Is that the
vision we want for this franchise?

7.	Next coaches... I'm going to throw out a few names no one has
mentioned. A. Paul Westphal. He has the Celtic roots. He has a
connection to Ainge (I think they overlapped in some way in Phoenix). He
was incredibly successful with the Suns and, looking back on it, did as
well as anyone could have expected in Seattle (considering the Baker
situation). He is doing well at Pepperdine. He's an offensive-minded
coach. He coached a Phoenix team with Kevin Johnson at point guard. If
I'm imagining a best-case comparison for Marcus Banks, KJ is it. He'd be
my first choice. B. Jerry Sichting. He's an assistant on Flip Saunders'
staff in Minnesota. Ainge and McHale are close, and McHale may give him
a strong endorsement. Flip would be a good guy to learn from. His teams
play great team basketball. He has the Celtic ties. He'd probably be No.
2 on my list. C. Scott Wedman. Here's a dark horse. He's coaching in the
NBDL, I think. Not sure what his relationship with Ainge is like. McHale
plucked Saunders from the minor leagues, maybe Ainge will do the same.
We also have to consider guys Ainge played with in Sacramento, Phoenix
and Portland. There may be a close friend/confidant from those days who
Ainge will consider.

8.	Last look at Obie... He got along great with the players. That's
great. But that can't be it. That's not enough. He was the right guy at
the right time when Pitino left - the anti-Pitino. He was dull, boring,
stay-the-course, defense-first, nothing flashy. That was perfect
medicine after Pitino. But being the anti-Pitino isn't enough. The
Celtics need to take the next step. Obie wasn't willing to do that.

9.

Mark Berry