Re: threes

At 07:16 PM 1/23/2004, Douglas342@xxxxxxx wrote:
OK, folks, forget for a minute about whether Walter/Antoine/Pierce/Kobe/whoever takes/makes too many or not enough. Forget the Celtics for the moment. If you're King of the NBA, do you abolish the three-point shot? If so, why? If not, why not? And while you're at it, what do you tell Evil Antoine who wants a four-point line maybe eight feet outside the three-point line? (We won't talk about Psycho Antoine who wants five points for a shot from beyond half court.)

Abolish it. I hate the shot. Look, basketball at its best is a game of continual motion and flow highlighted by athleticism and controlled aggression. The three point as an occasional option in an overall offense based in that is fine, but that's no longer what it's become. It's now an end in itself, and is there anything more ugly than a beautiful break ending in an unnecessary 3 point heave clanging off the rim with no one there to rebound. It's too tempting - you get extra points for taking the easy way out with a shot that doesn't require teamwork, motion, controlled athleticism and actually defeating the defense - the intellectual underpinnings of basketball at its best. Merely someone standing outside and heaving one up. In some cases taking us back decades to the days of the set shot. It completely disrupts flow because of that and the long rebounds it generates, turning basketball into a game of long ball HORSE. Ugh. Also eliminates a lot of strategy with things like fouls, since you're not going to get them that way.

I've no doubt Antoine was at least half kidding, although I have no doubt he'd take advantage of a 4 point line if it existed, but obviously any such thing would just reward people even more for doing the wrong thing.

Kim