RE: DePaul's Wright a future Celtic

WRIGHT & AFFLALO TAKE GAME TO ANOTHER LEVEL

                         by Clark Francis, Editor and Publisher of the
HOOP SCOOP

                    When I got my first look both at 6'7 Dorell Wright
from Lawndale (Leuzinger) CA and 6'4 Jr Arron Afflalo from Compton
(Centennial) CA last fall in the FullCourtPress Fall Hoops Classic, I
knew they were both major sleepers nationally, but I had no idea they
would each turn out to be the #1-ranked players, respectively, in their
class in Southern California this spring.  Wright had no reputation at
all, as was evident by the fact he didn't show up on the radar screen,
much less on anybody's national list.  However, even back, then this
wiry athlete reminded us of Tracy McGrady with his explosiveness off the
dribble, excellent ball handling and passing skills, and ability to make
things happen in transition.  Wright is 20 lbs. lighter and he shoots it
a lot better than McGrady did at the same stage, but, just like McGrady,
he has that same flare for the spectacular, is extremely unselfish, and
almost unstoppable when he takes his man off the dribble and goes to the
basket.  He also is a surprisingly good rebounder for his size and
unbelieveably quick around the basket, as he gets more than his fair
share of put-backs and slam dunks.  And making the story even more
intriguing is the fact that Wright still has no idea how good he is.  As
a matter of fact, Wright thinks he's a better baseball player than he is
a basketball player.  However, on the hardwood, Wright is so naturally
gifted right now that he does things instinctively that most of his
peers will never be able to do.  In other words, we're talking about
somebody with incredible naturual talent and an unlimited upside.
Wright is also very good right now, as is evident by the fact that only
three players - 6'7 LeBron James from Akron (St. Vincent-St. Mary) OH,
6'7 Luol Deng from Blairstown (Blair Academy) NJ, and 6'3 Shannon Brown
from Maywood (Proviso East) IL - will be ranked ahead of him in the
senior class nationally in our final rankings of the Class of 2003.
Unfortunately Wright is not as gifted academically as he is
athleticially and, as a result, he will likely have to go the prep
school or junior college route prior to when he has to make that all
important decision about enrolling in a four-year Division I college or
going straight to "The League."