Scout Compares Brandon Hunter/Ryan Gomes

The Herald News
David Borges

At a recent PC home game, however, one NBA scout from an Eastern Conference team said that there's no question Gomes would be a first-round pick. The question is, what kind of career would Gomes have in the NBA?

"In the NBA, you've got to have a skill that can get you into a game," said the scout. "A player like Ryan Gomes is so good at so many different things, but what's the one skill that's going to get him into a game?"

The scout pointed out that success in college doesn't necessarily translate into success in the pros. He pointed to Brandon Hunter, the former Ohio University star who's now lingering on the Boston Celtics' bench. Gomes was a far superior collegiate player than Hunter, but the scout pointed out that Hunter has a skill that gets him into games -- rebounding.

"He's grabbing a board every 2 1/2, 3 minutes," said the scout. "He's not a Hall of Fame player, not even one of the top eight men on the team, but those are Hall of Fame numbers."

He also noted former Villanova star Michael Bradley, who had a much better college career than Hunter and arguably was just as dominant as Gomes. But Bradley, a first-round pick by Toronto three years ago, hasn't been offered a second contract by the Raptors this year.

"Let me ask you this," the scout continued. "What current NBA player does Ryan Gomes remind you of?" I thought for a moment and offered, 'Zach Randolph.'

"He's only 6-7, but he's long and he can score and do so many things," the scout replied. "Who else?" I thought for a few more moments and finally said, 'Tim Duncan -- minus about 5 1/2 inches.' I guess that helped make the scout's point.

"What (Gomes) has done in the Big East, there's no question someone will take him in the first round," said the scout. "There's no question he's an NBA player. But I'm wondering what's going to get him to his second contract (after three years)."

If all goes according to play, Gomes (and Friar fans) won't have to worry about that until next year.