RE: Pistons Planning To Re-Sign Wallace and Okur: Ainge You Moron

These anonymous comments are always funny. Chad Ford must have fun making them up.

From: wayray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: celtics@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Pistons Planning To Re-Sign Wallace and Okur: Ainge You Moron
Date: 20 Feb 2004 12:49:18 -0500

From Chad Ford:

"Unbelievable," one GM told Insider.

"I've never seen a more lopsided deal in my career," another moaned.
"They're morons," claimed another executive referring to Danny Ainge
and Billy Knight. "I can't believe they just did that."

"Detroit just shifted the balance of power in the East," another
said. "I think they just became the team to beat."

AND

The Pistons may be the center of the universe again. All eyes will
be on Rasheed Wallace and Mehmet Okur in Detroit. Both are top-six
free agents this year.
Here's the bad news for those thinking that Thursday's trade means
that one of them is available. Pistons president Joe Dumars wants to
re-sign both Wallace and Okur this summer if they both get along
over the next 30-plus games.

Sources claim that Wallace has already sent out feelers about
staying in Detroit, quashing the notion that he'll only play for the
Knicks next season. With the Pistons looking at between $9 and $11
million in cap room, can Joe D get it done?

The Pistons probably have the cap space and flexibility to work
something out. If they can get Okur to sign for the mid-level
exception (expected to be around $5.1 to $5.5 this year) then they
can use their Bird Rights to get Wallace. If Okur is commanding more
money on the open market, the Pistons can always try to package a
few more players to a team with cap space to get far enough under to
sign them both this summer.

That's bad news for just about everyone in the East.

Ray