Re: Zach Randolph

On Feb 19, 2004, at 11:04 AM, R. Singh wrote:

Folks in Seattle are stating that Zach Randolph is very unhappy with the
fact that the Blazers picked up Rahim and that he has had several recent
run-ins with Maurice Cheeks because he's losing minutes to Rahim.
Consequently, they are stating that Randolph is being made available.

Zach Randolph is a helluva power forward prospect.

Ravi --

i've got to imagine that this is wishful thinking on the Seattle folks' part -- i think Randolph is the one untouchable on the whole portland roster. However just for kicks....

I would gladly give most anything to get Zach. What if we gave them:

Both #1 picks
Jiri Welsch
Mills expiring contract
Blount (poss. opt out -- otherwise cheap backup for Ratliff)

for

Randolph
Ruben Patterson

I imagine any deal for Randolph would have to include Patterson (3 years + many headaches) to get him off the cap. I'd waive Patterson and just eat his contract (rather than risk Randolph punching him again like he did last year...). IMO, Zach is better than anyone we're going to get with either of the #1 picks (kinda similar to the Jermaine O'Neal for 3 #1s rumor in 1997). I'd hate to part with Jiri but a lineup of Banks/Pierce/Davis/Randolph/LaFrentz sure looks nice.

I'd give Portland anyone but Pierce -- but the only players i think they'd want are expiring contracts (they may want/take Mihm/Stewart instead of Mills b/c their cotnracts line up for next summer), Jiri, Perkins and Banks.

signing off from dreamland,
(the other) mark