Re: Trade Thoughts Thursday

I'm anxious, but really not all that worried about what Ainge will do
today. Everything he says is on the right track, so I don't expect him
to do Detroit any favors unless he gets something good. That's not
Chucky Atkins. I don't think he'd take Chucky Atkins just for Detroit's
first-rounder, either. Detroit has two first-rounders - their own and
Milwaukee's. One of them has to go to Atlanta. Otherwise, why would the
Hawks do this? The Celtics could negotiate for the better of the two
first-rounders, but that's still looking like a pick in the mid-first
round range. Is that enough? Maybe. Atkins has two more years after this
on his contract. But like everyone has said, if that's the goal, why not
go to Phoenix, who are desperate to unload Jahidi White. White has a
shorter contract, and the Suns have better picks to offer. So I'm not
buying the Atkins-and-mid-late-first-rounder deal. Besides, there would
have to be more involved, I think Atkins doesn't make as much as Mills.
And I just don't see Ainge taking on Atkins AND Corliss Williamson. I
don't see it. Ray's right. Remember the name Carlos Delfino. He's a
European player drafted by the Pistons in the last draft who is playing
in Europe this season. He's a Ginobli-type player. If the Pistons make
him available, then things get interesting.

I have no problem with stocking up on draft picks. They're valuable in
terms of either exercising the picks or as trade assets. That's always a
good plan.

Brent Barry remains in play. The news in Seattle this morning is that
the Raptors are cooling on the Donyell Marshall trade (that one didn't
make sense; the Raptors desperately need big people; why trade away
their best?). Aldridge says the Celts still are talking about Mo Taylor,
presumably with Nachbar as the sweetener. I wonder if they could send
Mihm to Atlanta as part of the Rasheed/Atkins deal (that might work
salary-wise), and Mills to Houston for Taylor and Nachbar? Maybe I'll go
check that out on RealGM.

Mark

--- --- ---

Ray wrote:

- So Danny Ainge loves the upcoming draft and wants to acquire another
draft choice or two.  I'm a big fan of the upcoming draft myself, but
it's
definitely a long term proposition, what with all the high-schoolers and
Euros/
Brazilians that will be in it. We're talking 4-year projects in a lot of
the
cases. Hell, Podkolzine could be a six-year project.

- So why bother with Detroit and Atkins, with their very low first round
choice?

- And besides, if you're going to help a team to the Finals, you need to
be holding out
for something better, at least Carlos Delfino and the pick.

- But if Ainge is truly interested in picking up a quality draft choice,
why not Phoenix
and Jahidi White?  They have the Knicks pick and Cleveland's, and
White's contract
expires next season, making for a great trade package with Stewart and
him.

- If Ainge is PF hunting, Donyell Marshall appears preferable to the
rest. Besides, Toronto needs a center. This is the perfect spot for
Mihm or Blount or both.

- Whatever Ainge does will be "window dressing", says Michael Ventre,
NBC.Com Sports:  "If you want to discuss a team in need of new players,
try the Boston Celtics. Danny Ainge, the team's general manager, is
looking to make a deal. The Celtics' hold on a playoff berth in the East
is tenuous, and Ainge is only slightly more popular in Beantown these
days than George Steinbrenner. But he really doesn't have much to offer.
Jim O'Brien resigned as head coach because he wanted to design the
Celtics as a defensive-minded team. Ainge had other ideas. But he
doesn't have the players to suit his philosophy. He could give up on
Ricky Davis quickly, but that would be admitting a mistake. There is
talk of Boston trading away Chris Mills or Raef LaFrentz. Whatever Ainge
does, it will be window dressing. He's a long way off from a meaningful
remodeling of this once-proud franchise."

- I tend to disagree, if Ainge makes the right trade. . .