Paul Pierce on the trade block?

  Trader Ainge remains Barry active
By Steve Bulpett/Celtics Notebook
Wednesday, February 18, 2004
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Danny Ainge reported before tipoff last night that nothing was close on the Celtics trade front as tomorrow's deal deadline approaches, but sources claim there is life to the club's pursuit of Brent Barry.

The Celts previously offered Seattle Chris Mills (and his attractive contract, with 80 percent picked up by insurance) straight-up, but an agent said yesterday the sides have discussed an expanded transaction.

Barry is a free agent after this season, and the Celtics would have interest then. But they'd like to get him now not only for what he can bring to the club in the short term, outside shooting and getting Paul Pierce [news] and Ricky Davis the ball in better positions, but for the fact they could use the mid-level exception on a different player next summer. As their own free agent, Barry could be signed for whatever amount he and the Celts agree on, and it's fair to assume the C's would need to feel comfortable about their ability to keep him.

Ainge spoke in generalities yesterday, saying, ``I've been on the phone a lot, but nothing is right just yet. Nothing's good enough.''

But all the Celtics cards are in play, according to the head of basketball operations. No one is untouchable.

``Not in our situation,'' Ainge said. ``Would it take something very big to do certain deals? Yes. But we can't afford to turn away from anything that might help us. For where we are right now, `untouchable' is not a word in my vocabulary.''

Most of what's being attributed to the Celtics in the rumor mill either has no chance or hasn't even been discussed. The C's won't be taking on a long contract (Malik Rose) unless it can get something more substantial than a pick additionally in return.

There's been no talk yet about Golden State's Erick Dampier, and the Mills and Chris Mihm to Orlando for Juwan Howard, Pat Garrity and Steven Hunter rumor is unfounded.