Latest on Vin Baker during Chicago Game

I emphasized a few points in this article, especially after hearing the Fox
Chicago crew completely botched the story, incorrectly stating that Baker
was suspended from the NBA, instead of from only the Celtics.

CHICAGO -- <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=1279>Vin
Baker missed his 10th straight game Thursday night as part of an indefinite
suspension, a number that could allow the
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos>Boston Celtics to
terminate his contract.

Baker was suspended Jan. 23 after failing to comply with his aftercare
program for treatment of alcoholism.

"I haven't been told anything what's going on. It's up to the doctor when
Vin's capable of coming back. That's all I know," Celtics executive
director of basketball operations Danny Ainge said before Thursday night's
game with the <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=chi>Chicago
Bulls.

Baker missed two months and the playoffs last season after he checked into
a rehab center to treat alcoholism. He agreed at the time to follow an
aftercare program this season and submit to frequent testing.

But Baker failed to comply with the terms of the agreement at least three
times before he was suspended indefinitely last month.

Only the doctor overseeing Baker's care, approved by the team and player,
can determine if he's ready to return.

The agreement said that if Baker wasn't back within 10 games, the Celtics
have the right to terminate his contract that was worth $35 million over
the next 2= years.

"This is something that has been handled with the attorneys since the day I
got here," Ainge said.

"All I know at some point Vin could come back and at some point he could
not. Our attorney will probably inform us of what's going to happen when
the next thing is ready to happen, but at this point I have no idea what is
happening," Ainge added.

Celtics spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said the team couldn't comment on the
specifics of the agreement.

"His status is unchanged. He's still suspended indefinitely," Bonsiewicz
said.

Baker's agent, Aaron Goodwin, didn't immediately return a phone call.

Baker totaled just 12 points in four games before being suspended for three
games, then played in just two of the next five games before being
suspended again.

The 6-foot-11 Baker was the eighth overall pick by the Milwaukee Bucks in
the 1993 draft. He averaged 21 points and 10 rebounds over his last two
seasons in Milwaukee before he was traded to Seattle for the 1997-98 season.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle