Exclusive From Me: Stephen Smith Does Some Ripping On Ainge & Black Players

Stephen A Smith from ESPN & Philly Enquirer on WEEI says:

- Many black coaches don't have the financial oomph/power to command
black players respect, so black players dog it, ala Glen Robinson
and the rest of his Philly teammates. They were in open revolt
against Ayers, with Robinson bumping him on purpose.
Smith says there are exceptions like Silas in Cleveland.
Smith says Van Gundy, example of a coach with power,
management has a large sum invested in him - can't ditch Van Gumby
or Pokey, so Francis one to go in power struggle, since they can
get something in return for him.  Which brings up a thought:
Would you trade Pierce for Francis?

On Celtics:

- Paul Pierce "frustrated and had it" says Smith, who calls Pierce
a good guy like Kevin Garnet and not a headcase, just overwhelmed
by all of Ainge's maneuvers.

- Ricky Davis is however a "Headcase".

- Smith can't understand any of Ainge's trades. Davis and Mihm,
didn't make a lot of sense to Smith.

- Smith says Ainge's vision looks "ugly" to him and others:
"We think Ainge has a plan. We think it is terrible."
And Smith said he told Ainge this, but planned to be fair to him.

- Smith says I never believed Antoine Walker should be traded for Raef LaFrentz.
You can't put a docile/passive personality like LaFrentz in the lockerroom with
a similar personaility like Pierce, and have the two of them lead the team.

- Most of the people in the NBA community think Ainge's plan is terrible.

- O'Brien was well loved and a lot of coaches not anxious to walk into the Celtics
situation.  Ainge too controlling with a vision not clear yet.

- A lot of coaches will be mentioned for the Celtics job, but few will
want to be under Ainge's  auspices.

- It's possible Ainge's plan is to hit the bottom, and it could
happen with the team in disarray.

- City of Boston not tolerant of rebuilding and teams bottoming out.

- "At the end of the day, what is Ainge doing?"

- Boston Celtics would have been one of the "top four teams in the EC."

 - Smith preceded the above remark by calling the Eastern Conference the "JV"
league compared to teh West.
Ray