Baker

SNOOP - I read your "It took an out of town--Chicago, to be specific--
report to remind one and all that tomorrow is an important day for Vin
Baker and the Celtics."

Since SteveB stopped bringing us the morning Globe/Herald columns,
I don't blame you for thinking the Boston Press had not been updating us
on the Baker situation.  They had, several times.

Now and then a few of us reprint a Globe/Herald column, but not on a
consistent basis and only when it seems to support a subject of particular
interest to the submitter.  It's too bad, because many listers often
refer to snippets from these columns yet frustratingly enough, do not
reprint the full column.

As a relative newcomer to this list, I have been reticent to ask for
a volunteer to bring these to us each and every day in the AM.  I would
offer to do so myself but would only be able to accomplish such on
a helter-skelter basis.

But what the heck, I now ask because it won't hurt and it might
help-  ANY VOLUNTEERS OUT THERE?

Egg
------------------
Adviser: Baker ready

Power forward awaiting decision
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 2/12/2004

CHICAGO -- When the Celtics play the Bulls tonight at the United Center,
it will mark the 10th game of Vin Baker's indefinite suspension. If Baker
does not return for the contest, Boston will regain the right to end its
association with the power forward per an agreement reached with the
team during the offseason.

The decision on when -- or if -- Baker can return will be made by Dr.
Lloyd Baccus, an Atlanta psychiatrist who became head of the NBA's
drug program in 1994. Steve Singleteary, Baker's personal adviser and
lawyer, said yesterday that Baker was ready to come back.

"Vin is ready, willing, and able to return to the Celtics immediately,"
said Singleteary. "Since the day the Celtics suspended him indefinitely,
I have been with Vin on a regular basis. He has worked hard to return from
his latest setback so he can make significant contributions to the team.
He has done everything that needs to be done. He is ready to return. He
expects to be allowed to return immediately.

"Vin has been totally immersed and focused on fulfilling all the
obligations of his aftercare program and he's done that. Team officials
are well aware of that. It was disappointing and frustrating to read that
they claimed attempts to contact Vin were unsuccessful. If anyone needs
to reach Vin, they know how to get in touch with him."

Under the uniform player contract and collective bargaining agreement,
the Celtics can move to terminate Baker's contract
worth approximately $35 million over the next two-plus years. If Baker
does not play tonight, both sides would likely try to resolve the issue
over the All-Star break. But it could be a long, drawn-out process. There
is certain to be a grievance filed by the players' association.

Good time for break
With the recent resignation of Jim O'Brien and the Baker situation
expected to heat up again, the All-Star break will be especially welcome
for the Celtics. But before then, interim coach John Carroll is hoping the
Celtics can maintain enough focus to beat the Bulls.

"If I had one wish, it would be for everyone to walk out of that locker
room [tonight] with a big smile on their face so they can go enjoy a couple
days off," said Carroll.

Paul Pierce wants a win because he realizes just how close the race for
the eighth playoff spot will be.
"You can't help but look at [the standings]," said Pierce. "Once you read
the paper and see where you're at, you want to know who's in front of you
and you want to know who's behind you. You want to know who's hurt. All
that comes into play."
Whatever it takes

Carroll contends the Celtics are now "immuned" to the upheaval another
trade could cause. So, he's in favor of doing a deal before the Feb. 19
trading deadline. "Rebounding has been a major concern all season," said
Carroll. "And taking care of the basketball has been a concern all season.
 [Director of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] and I had dinner last
night. We talk all the time. He knows what I think. I know what he thinks
to a large extent. It's very obvious what our weaknesses are. Anything
that can help our basketball team, why wouldn't anybody be in favor of
that? Our team is such that it needs help." . . . Ricky Davis was practicing
dunks for the All-Star slam dunk contest after practice yesterday at the
Moody Bible Institute. He said he had some surprises and rated his chances
of winning as "50-50."