are in Jersey.

Davis tells fans he's sorry

TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
Monday, February 9, 2004

(02-09) 11:23 PST   CLEVELAND (AP) --

Returning to the "black hole," Boston Celtics guard Ricky Davis
apologized to the few fans he still has here -- but not to the
Cleveland Cavaliers.

Davis was back in Gund Arena on Monday for the first time since he was
traded to Boston on Dec. 15 in a six-player deal that caused dramatic
changes to both teams.

"It felt a little like homecoming back here," said Davis, who didn't
speak so lovingly of Cleveland after he left.

Shortly after the trade, Davis rankled fans by criticizing the Cavs,
general manager Jim Paxson and the city.

"I was glad to be out of the black hole," Davis said then. "It was
terrible over there. The organization. No system. The town. Everything.
The GM. All of it is kind of backward. It's good to be in a winning
organization that has a system and knows what's going on.

"It's a step up in everything ... class, coaches, owners, GMs, players,
winning, tradition, everything."

However, following the Celtics' morning shootaround to get ready for
Monday night's game against the Cavaliers, Davis said he regretted some
of his remarks.

"I want to apologize to the fans, they were always here during the bad
times," he said. "They know I love them, and it was just hard times
over here."

As for his other post-trade targets, Davis wasn't as contrite.

Asked if he was sorry for ripping Paxson and the organization, Davis
paused and said, "I don't really want to go in to all of that, but I
like my fans."

The Cavs were 6-17 when they traded Davis and forwards Chris Mihm and
Michael Stewart to the Celtics for Eric Williams, Tony Battie and
Kedrick Brown. Since then, Cleveland has gone 13-15 and moved back into
the playoff picture in the Eastern Conference.

During the same span, the Celtics have spiraled downward with coach Jim
O'Brien's recent resignation the low point.

Davis's departure was viewed as a necessity in Cleveland, where he
wasn't happy playing a supporting role to rookie star LeBron James.

But at least he was a starter. With the Celtics, Davis is averaging
12.5 points in 27.3 minutes coming off the bench.

"It's tough," he said. "You have to think about what you're doing out
there. You have to come in warmed up and ready."

Davis was positive Cleveland fans would be warmed up and ready for him
Monday night.

"A little bit of this, a little bit of that probably," he said when
asked what type of reception he thought he'd get. "A few cheers, a few
boos. All of it."