Vin Is Coming Back (Angling For A Buyout Methinks)

So says his new/old agent Goodwin. In the good news department, the "Q"
loves Ainge. But having Q, Jiri, Davis, and Pierce seems a
bit overcrowded, so one would have to go...

Baker's agent hopeful
He cites forward progress
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 2/5/2004
With the looming prospect of the Celtics terminating his contract, Vin Baker recently switched representatives, returning to former agent Aaron Goodwin.

Before the Celtics played the Clippers last night at the FleetCenter, Goodwin confirmed that he was back with Baker. Goodwin also provided the first update on Baker's status since the power forward was indefinitely suspended Jan. 23 for a third "noncompliance" with his aftercare program for alcoholism. League sources confirmed Baker is undergoing treatment in an effort to return to the NBA.
"Yes, I've been working with him for about a month now," said Goodwin, when reached by telephone. "Vin is real close. Physically, he's ready. We're hopeful to get him back as soon as possible."
Asked if Baker could return as soon as tomorrow night's game against Atlanta, Goodwin said, "That is what we would like, if possible. Vin is doing everything to stay in compliance. He's doing everything to make it back on the court. He's a great kid. He's working hard to beat his addiction. But he needs support from all parties."
Goodwin, who also serves as one of LeBron James's agents, represented Baker before the Celtics suspended the power forward Feb. 27, 2003. Shortly thereafter, the two split. Following the February 2003 suspension, attorney Steve Singleteary publicly became Baker's lead representative.
But it was the West Coast-based Goodwin who was seen talking with Baker outside the locker room at The Arena in Oakland, Calif., after the Celtics played the Warriors Dec. 29.
In late January, after Boston returned from a game in Miami, Baker was found in "noncompliance" with that agreement for the third time, resulting in an automatic, indefinite suspension.
Baker's future with the Celtics rests in the hands of Dr. Lloyd Baccus, an Atlanta psychiatrist who became head of the NBA's drug program in 1994. Baccus has the sole authority to determine when, or even whether, Baker can return from his suspension.
If the suspension lasts 10 games, the Celtics may exercise their rights under the uniform player contract and collective bargaining agreement move to terminate Baker's contract. The 10th game of the suspension would be Feb. 12 at Chicago. Baker has two-plus years and approximately $35 million remaining on his current deal.
Keeping in touch
Jim O'Brien has a new, unofficial title: Celtics consultant. Interim head coach John Carroll has not been shy about calling O'Brien for advice.
"I asked him for advice two days after he resigned and we were getting ready to play New York," said Carroll. "I asked him what he would do in this particular situation, because that's what we did for the last seven years. I'm going to ask anybody who I think can help me, whether it's Jim or any number of close friends of mine."
Showing off
The Clippers' Quentin Richardson (36 points) will be a restricted free agent after this season. When told that his performance last night would increase Danny Ainge's interest in him, Richardson said, "That's my guy. That's my guy." . . . Richardson's eight 3-pointers were the most by a Boston opponent since March 2, 1999, when Wesley Person made eight in a game at Cleveland. It was also the most 3-pointers scored at the FleetCenter by an opponent. The previous high was six by Sacramento's Nick Anderson Jan. 7, 2000 . . . Mark Blount played a career-high 48 minutes, yet he attempted only four field goals, making two . . . Marko Jaric recorded a career-high nine rebounds and Eddie House a career-best eight as the Clippers outrebounded the Celtics, 46-36 . . . The Clippers were without Corey Maggette (sprained right ankle).
Peter May of the Globe staff contributed to this report.
) Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.