Ainge Turns Playoff Contender To Mediocre Team

(It's just at its darkest before the Dawn.)

Ainge makes over Celtics
In search of offense, he has turned playoff team into a mediocre squad, puzzling fans.

By Howard Ulman
Associated Press
February 4, 2004
BOSTON -- Paul Pierce stared at the gym floor, while John Carroll barely made eye contact with anyone.
It was the first day after 100 days of turmoil for the Boston Celtics, and the star guard and the interim coach were stunned by the resignation of coach Jim O'Brien.
Everyone knew that O'Brien was defense-oriented and basketball boss Danny Ainge wanted more offense, but there was no sign that those differences would split their uneasy partnership.
"It's been an unusual 24 hours," Carroll said after his first practice as coach of the NBA's most storied franchise.
And it'll be an unusual 24 months -- or however long it takes -- before Ainge completes his makeover of the franchise that was a model of success and stability during Ainge's days as a player.
Ainge has said he has a "long-term vision," but he hasn't fully explained it. That has left folks around Boston scratching their heads over how quickly the Celtics have regressed from being one of the best teams in the East to one of the conference's mediocre masses.
"We support, as an ownership group, Danny's vision of playing basketball the way the Celtics used to play, which is more running and offense. That's why those banners are up there," said Wyc Grousbeck, a member of the ownership group that bought the team 13 months ago.
That type of unequivocal support for Ainge is in short supply.
On Oct. 20, he traded one of his two best players, Antoine Walker, to Dallas along with Tony Delk for Raef LaFrentz and Jiri Welsch. LaFrentz arrived with knee problems that the Celtics knew about beforehand and now is out for the season. Welsch has become a starter, though his talent level does not approach Walker's.
On Dec. 15, with the Celtics on a five-game winning streak, Ainge sent defensive stalwart and locker-room leader Eric Williams to Cleveland along with Tony Battie and Kedrick Brown for Ricky Davis, Chris Mihm and Michael Stewart.
Then, on the 100th day after Walker left, O'Brien resigned following a disagreement with Ainge.
Players, along with local fans, wonder of the Celtics: What's going on here?
"I'm not upstairs," point guard Mike James said. "The only thing I can control is working hard in practice and giving my all in the game. I can't concern myself with the business side."
That's the job of Grousbeck, who supports what Ainge is doing.
The Celtics won the last two of their 16 championships in 1984 and 1986 with Ainge at guard. But last season they were eliminated 4-0 in the Eastern Conference semifinals by New Jersey, and Ainge was brought aboard to shake things up.
"We were an aging team that was swept by the Nets. The idea was to reload with younger talent," Grousbeck said.
Ainge felt the Celtics were using too much energy on defense and didn't have enough left for offense, resulting in too many 3-point shots. He wants a more balanced, versatile team that can score in more ways and still stop the opponent.
James is one of nine active players Ainge has brought in since May 9 when he was named executive director of basketball operations. Only three players remain from last season.
The roster got another jolt when Vin Baker was suspended indefinitely recently for not complying with his alcoholism treatment program.
"I absolutely, categorically reject the notion of rebuilding," Grousbeck said. "It's a year marred by injuries and off-the-court problems."
Celtics patriarch Red Auerbach put it more simply: "We had a lot of tough luck."
In 1979, Auerbach nearly quit as team president when owner John Y. Brown blindsided him by trading three first-round draft choices and a player to be named later to Detroit for Bob McAdoo. But two years later, the Celtics won the NBA championship.
In 1997, the Celtics had two lottery picks after finishing with an NBA worst 15-67 record and had the best chance to draft Tim Duncan. Instead, San Antonio got him and has won two titles since.
Boston has two first-rounders again this year, and Ainge wants to leave little to chance.
"He's going in the right direction. He knows what he's doing," said Auerbach, who speaks frequently with Ainge. "You can only go by results, but Danny's a very, very smart guy and he's got a lot of guts.