RE: SonicsCentral.com Brent Barry Scouting Report

Mark,

Yes, I've seen a lot of Barry.

In any event, he is a guy that leaves me shaking my head in frustration.
He is very, very gifted on the offensive end and does understand the
game like Jiri Welsch while bringing more athleticism to the court but
he just doesn't have the drive or passion to excel and is not one to
bring it every night. In the vernacular of former coach Rick Pitino, he
is not a Ph'd (poor, hungry and driven) Does that mean, he can't be
successful in Boston? Not at all, he just isn't worth a first round pick
or Mark Blount for that matter.

With respect to leadership, I can only say the Sonics have no
on-court/off-court leadership.  They have no one to take charge of the
team and dictate a way of going about business. This is why McMillan is
so frustrated with the team. Earlier this season, he blew up in the
locker room, criticizing management for building a team full of soft
players. Pretty much incriminated every veteran on the team except for
Potapenko and Antonio Daniels. McMillan wants tough minded players that
bring intensity every time they step on the court, something Barry does
not do.

In a nutshell, he deals with Barry this way.  If he comes out with fire
and, for whatever reason, is motivated, McMillan will play him a lot
during a game. If he comes out with the passivity that leaves me shaking
my head and the coach thinking about taking the Charlotte head coaching
position, he sits him for the energetic and always motivated Daniels.
Barry's inconsistent minutes reflect this.  All you gotta do is ask
yourself, if he is the on-court leader, why is it that his minutes are
so inconsistent, especially given that fact the coach is so desperate
for leadership from someone on his team?

Barry is a nice complimentary player and is a much better fit for the
Celtics than James given what Ainge has in mind offensively. But giving
up a first round pick or Mark Blount, who in my estimation has become a
decent big man and would do well in an honest to goodness running game,
would be a big mistake given the other issues I've elaborated on. It's
all a matter of buying at a discount and if any deal included either of
these Celtics assets, the Sonics would be the ones buying at a discount.

The one concern I have about Ainge is his predisposition towards
building a soft team. His Suns teams always struck me as soft and I fear
that may be the eventual outcome in Boston. I hope not because it takes
metal to win championships.

Ravi