Eastern TPR Allstars - One man's opinion

February 2, 2004
Eastern TPR Allstars

Joe Schaller

My Allstar game criteria: Last year's TPR plus this year's TPR plus bonus
points for minutes played last year and this.

Tracy McGrady and Jason Kidd are the no-brainers. Despite a considerable drop
in TPR from last year McGrady is still easily the top talent in the East. The
coaches picks are often of a no brains nature though and will most likely
include some real stinkers. Ilgauskas? I think not. Call Carlos Boozer a center
and put him in instead.

Using my criteria Allen Iverson misses the cut due to this season's woeful
performance. In his place is Chauncey Billups primarily due to last years
stellar performance.

Baron Davis started the season with eye popping 3-pt shooting yet has cooled
off considerably jacking up and missing way too many from long distance.
Combine that with with his sub-par performance from last year and the much
ballyhooed Davis also misses my cut. In his place is Stephon Marbury who minute for
minute may not have attained superstar status however has logged enough huge
minutes this year and last to put him amongst the elite of the East. In the West
he would not have come close to my allstar team.

The fans once again show their obsession with dunk star Vince Carter. Last
year I said if he had any honor Vince would bow out for someone deserving. I'll
say it again this year. Poor shooting and turnovers by Vince have been costly
to the Raptors. It is Donyell Marshall who has made the difference for the
club yet he and Shareef Abdur-Rahim seem to have a snowballs chance in hell of
being recognized for their consistent allstar level play year after year.

It is notable that although Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest are the stars for
the Pacers they are essentially playing at my expected levels. Yet my
preseason calculations did not position the club at such a high level. The reason why
comes from two overachievers on the club, Reggie Miller and Jeff Foster.
Foster has jumped to the top of my Most Improved list and considering the
tremendous loss of Brad Miller it is Foster who has been one of the keys to the club's
success. Meanwhile Reggie is performing at his highest level since '95.

TPR scale: 120+ superstar, 100+ allstar, 80+ starter, 65+ bench, 60 = minimum
wage

EASTERN TPR ALLSTARS

shows TPR for this year and last, minutes bonuses and total score.

__________ '04TPR_"bonus_'03TPR_"bonus_score

G Tracy McGrady___141__37__175__30__ 383

G Jason Kidd_______134__32__141__30__ 337

G/F Paul Pierce_____113__36__134__31__ 314

F/C Jermaine O'Neal_131__34__129__29__ 323

C/F Ben Wallace____122__35__130__29__ 316
Second Team

G Michael Redd_____130__34__117__23__ 304

G Stephon Marbury_114__38__109__32__ 293

F Shar.Abdur-Rahim_119__34__106__31__ 290

F Donyell Marshall___121__29__110__24__ 284

F Ron Artest_______117__34__108__23__ 282
reserves

F Kenyon Martin____124__27__103__26__ 280

G Chauncey Billups__102__34__119__23__ 278

close

Kerry Kittles 274

Allen Iverson 274

Carlos Boozer 273