Re: Part II: Mark Blount Deals

On Feb 2, 2004, at 10:14 AM, wayray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Here's a few Mark Blount deals. Cap realistic, but NBA realistic?

- Chris Mills, Mark Blount, and a first for Erick Dampier.
Golden State likely can get a better offer.

I think you're right that they can get a better deal for Dampier.

However, as long as we're talking Golden St. why not:

Mills + Ricky Davis for Nick Van Exel

Nick's contract is bigger, but shorter and while i like(d) the Davis trade (and am not generally in favor of shipping him out), I really believe our need for a veteran PG is our most desperate. While I would love a monster like Dampier, we've got a stockpile of big men I'd like to see given a real chance (Mihm, LaFrentz, Perkins, Hunter). I'd rather see Welsch as the long-term Pierce-partner at the 2/3 than Davis. NVE has averaged something like 18 ppg, 7 apg over his career.

I think Golden St. is happy with Speedy Claxton at the point and has a bigger need for a SF to take some pressure off Jason Richardson. Dunleavy's not the answer, IMHO.

Banks can learn the PG spot from Nick for the next 2 years, then NVE's contract expires at the same time Vin's comes off the books.

- Mills, Blount, McCarty and Stewart for Austin Croshere, Scott Pollard,
and a first. Ainge was there chatting away with Bird, the Pacers could use another
center, and the Celtics have coveted Croshere for the longest time.

Ugh no -- esp. not with Croshere's contract. Wasn't Croshere a Pitino fascination. No way Ainge does this.

- Blount, Mills, and Banks for Dampier. Actually a deal for both Dampier and
Van Exel would really help the Celtics.

Well didn't get this far down before I wrote the above. I think the only way we could get both would be to give up probably too much, like:

R. Davis
Blount
Banks
Mills
Mihm

You could argue -- don't know if i'd agree -- that output-wise,

Banks + Davis = Van Exel
Mihm + Blount = Dampier

but I imagine we'd have to throw in Dallas' pick to get this done though.

- Mills and Blount for Troy Murphy, Cliff Robinson, and Popeye Jones.
If the Worriers are in cap-reduction mode.

Murphy would be nice (even nicer if we'd picked him over any of our 2001 choices ;-) ... but I think he's as close to untouchable as the Warriors have.

- Mills, Blount, and Michael Stewart for Ratliff and Chris Crawford.
Ratliff may end up in Philly.

eh...If this is as good as we can do, i'd do it but I've got to imagine we can do better.

- Mills, Blount, Stewart, and Banks for Fizer, Crawford, and Robinson.
Rather have Crawford than Banks, though neither is what you call a pure PG.
And the Bulls would want more than what's offered.

I disagree Ray, I think Banks will develop into a pure PG. I think right now he's pressing and trying to score too much on his own. I think Danny realizes that even though he wants Banks to lead this team, he won't be really ready for at least another year. That's why I'd like to see the C's go after getting Van Exel or Eric Snow (my preference over NVE).

Like I said previously I'd like the C's to persue a trade of:

Chris Mills + Mark Blount --> Eric Snow + Marc Jackson

The Sixers are going to be in a world of hurt salary cap wise soon, this would basically let them subtract both Snow & Jackson from their cap for nothing (assuming Blount opts out this summer).

- Blount, Mills, and Davis for Dampier and Dunleavy.
Dunleavy and Jiri - two peas in a albino pod.

- Blount, Mills, and Davis for Larry Hughes, Etan Thomas, and Laettner.
Now here's a deal that solves both of Ainge's wants, a big PG and a
young wide--body. But why would Washington do it?

Larry Hughes is no more a PG that Crawford -- he's a SG and everyone knows it. Blake is starting at PG with Arenas out. No thanks.

- Blount, Banks, Mills, Davis, and McCarty for Wallace.
These 5-for-1 deals generlly don't get done.

- Mills and Blount for Juwan Howard, George Gricek, and Shammond Williams.
Been rumours.

- Blount and Mills for Lorenzen Wright and Ryan Humphries.
Memphis may present some intriguing possibilities.

I'd do this, but can't see Memphis doing it. Wright's their starter and much better than Blount -- they don't need cap room since they're not looking to sign anyone, nor close to the Lux. Tax.

- Blount and Mills for Greg Ostertag. A wide body for sure.

- Blount, Stewart, and Mills for Brian Grant.
Another wide--body.

I've always loved Grant and but Miami would have to give us something more (Haslem?) to take on his contract.