Top ten rookie impact players

POSITION BATTLES: Top ten rookie impact players
BY Chris Carlson
Special to Rotoworld
Fox Sports
Sep. 25, 2003 2:56 p.m.

Rookies report to training camp on Saturday. With that in mind here is a look
at the Top Draft Picks and how they will impact the Fantasy world this year.
Lebron James, G, Cavaliers
Obviously he is going to top every rookie watch list, however Paul Silas is
taking a more conservative approach with the Heir to Jordan's Throne. Silas
stated recently he would not start James at the point guard position, and that
he
wanted to take some of the pressure off of the future star.
He has Kevin Ollie and J.R. Bremer in camp to run the point. When Silas was
asked if this meant more time for Dajaun Wagner at the point, he stated that
Wagner will get "most of his minutes at the shooting guard" position. There is
no doubt that LeBron will eventually win the job at some point in the season,
but until then expect to see him playing the two or three.
Darko Milicic, F, Pistons
With the crowded frontcourt in Detroit, it's gonna be like dinner with the
Klumps, he's gonna be fighting for scraps all year long. Everything we have
been
told about Darko has 2004-2005 written all over it. He will not be an impact
fantasy rookie this year. He has all kinds of potential, but the Pistons are a
playoff contender and have enough to win without rushing Darko along. Do not
look for much production from him this year.
Carmello Anthony, F, Nuggets
People in Denver haven't been this excited since the Gold Rush. The truth is
that the Nuggets were not just one player away from making the playoffs.
However, that one player, Carmello Anthony, should have a nice impact on the
fantasy world.
He can score, rebound and play defense. When I think 'Melo, I think Caron
Butler from last year. Caron averaged 15.4 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 2.7 APG, 1.8 SPG and
.4
BPG. I think the scoring for 'Melo could be higher due to the lack of other
options on the team. Look for him to make a nice debut into the fantasy world
of
basketball.
Chris Bosh, F, Raptors
Will Chris Bosh come in and play right away?
I don't think he will contribute at an impact fantasy level right away, but a
lot of that will be decided on two things, 1) How healthy is Vince Carter?
and 2) How good are the Raptors? If the Raptors are off to another
disappointing
start they might as well throw Bosh into the fire to earn his stripes. If
they are winning and playing like a playoff team, they can afford to bring him
along slowly. I don't think Bosh will be the reason the Raptors make a playoff
run; the only way he contributes is if they are bad. He still needs to add
some
size if he is going to play the four and he is very young.
Dwyane Wade, G, Heat
He is going to play, he is going to play the shooting guard and on defense he
will guard the other teams point guard. It will be his job to lose. Eddie
Jones has worn out his welcome in Miami and I think if there are any takers
out
there he will be moved ASAP.
Wade, Odom and Butler are the future. Wade can post some solid numbers, but
probably won't put up any incredible numbers. Pat Riley teams usually play
tough defense but have a harder time breaking 100 points than Shawn Kemp has
driving past a Krispy Kreme. Don't expect big offensive numbers from Wade, but
he
should have solid all-around numbers.
Chris Kaman, C, Clippers
The best thing that Chris Kaman has going for him is that someone has to play
center in Los Angeles. If you are a Knick fan you are still having nightmares
about Frederic Weis, and Clippers fans may be in for the same nightmare.
I just don't see the big man becoming a great force in the NBA. However, I
just don't see Melvin Ely's future at the five, I think Kaman will have a
chance
to get in and make some things happen. Kaman can be a solid contributor but
not on the fantasy stat page. Ely will get time, Wilcox will get time, Brand
will get time, and it just doesn't look like the big numbers will be there for
Kaman. And once again let's not forget to mention Wang ZhiZhi.
Kirk Hinrich, G, Bulls
Here is a kid that can be special. He brings to the table that undefinable
ability to make things happen. He hustles, he can shoot, he can pass and he
wants to win. He has the right size to be a two guard in the NBA and no one
questions his heart, so how can he go wrong?
Every draft has a guy come out of it that you can't believe slipped that far.
Scott Layden was probably ready to hang himself from the rafters at MSG after
witnessing the emergence of Amare Stoudamire last year, and he went No. 9.
This year it could be Hinrich. The only drawback is that he will be playing
behind Jamal Crawford who really came into his own last year. The Bulls think
they
have enough talent to make a run at the playoffs in the East and I see
Hinrich coming off the bench to provide the energy and quick bursts of scoring
that
will help them get to that level.
How does it translate to fantasy basketball? Probably not great, maybe six to
eight points per game, a few assists and a steal. Hinrich will have a nice
NBA career, but may be a few years to contributing to anyone's fantasy team.
T.J. Ford, G, Bucks
The Bucks have made it clear that T.J. Ford will have every opportunity to
run the team. As a fantasy owner that is all you can ask for. The hard part is
asking yourself if T.J. Ford and his 6-0, 162 frame is ready to take the
challenge.
I think he will be just fine. How many point guards will be able to guard his
quickness? He can make a 2-point game a 10-point game in 30 seconds with his
speed. The big question mark has always been his outside shot. Let's remember
that not all players come into the NBA with a perfect jump shot. There are
ways to fix that, and he has the tools that you can't teach, like speed. Look
for
Ford to lead all rookies in assists and to be in the top ten assist leaders
in the NBA.
Mike Sweetney, F, Knicks
I think Sweetney has the potential to turn into a great rebounding forward
who scores 15-18 PPG eventually, but right now he is not there, nor are the
Knicks. It is like walking into an elevator filled with the cast from Roseanne
there is just no more room. In time Sweetney should become a solid fourth or
fifth fantasy forward option, but right now he will be fighting for playing
time
on a team that must win now.
Reece Gaines, G, Magic
Can Reece Gaines come in and play the point immediately? With Tracy McGrady
in the same backcourt, the Magic have the possibility of starting two shooting
guards who can also play the point. McGrady will take some of the attention
away from Gaines, allowing him to develop.
Gaines may not have a huge fantasy impact this year, but he should get enough
playing time to make a name for himself. In a keeper league he may be a very
good late round pick. There are some obstacles in the way of Gaines' immediate
playing time. Gordon Giricek may be better suited and more experienced to run
the point. I expect to see a battle for the point guard position during
training camp. Watch it closely, if Gaines impresses he could be a legitimate
fantasy guard.
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1694988
TAM