Re: Vescey's knowledge and Indiana

At 01:10 PM 9/10/03 -0400, Berry, Mark S wrote:
Shawn asked:
Does anyone else on list have an opinion of Jermaine? What's the concensus?
I don't understand Snoopy's problem with O'Neal either. He's a stud. He scores, rebounds, blocks shots, runs the floor and gets better every year. As for the crunch-time criticism, I think it's somewhat valid although easily understandable....
So, did Jermaine struggle at times (not all the time) down the stretch of games? Sure. But he was saddled with a coach without a clue and perimeter players not really capable of either creating or making an open shot.

Basically, that's my problem. I've never said O'Neal wasn't a good player. He is. But I think he's prone to problems at crunch time. Several times, I have seen him blow a play, or commit a dumb foul--but ONLY in high pressure situations. The closest--though faint--analogy is Shaq. He's a tremendously talented player, but in a close game that's going to be decided by free throws, I wouldn't want to ride the game on his FT percentage.

I'm willing to concede the possibility--though I think it unlikely--that Jermaine's problem stems from Thomas as a coach. How badly can you really be shaken by the coach if you've got Reggie Miller to back you up? Granted, Reggie's on the tail end of his career, but he's not chopped liver either. Given a choice between O'Neal and Artest, I'll take O'Neal because I think Artest is too big a pain in the patootie to be worth babysitting until he starts acting his age and not his shoe size.

But right now, the Celtics have FAR too many close games to have anyone on the court who isn't rock solid at crunch time. Jermaine would have to show me grace under pressure to convince me he's worth the risk in the win/loss column.