In his return, Baker got what he deserves

In his return, Baker got what he deserves
By Bob Ryan, Globe Columnist, 10/30/2003

The word on Vin Baker during those lost years was that he would always tell
you what you wanted to hear. It's a pretty typical alcoholic's M.O.

Last night the FleetCenter crowd told Vin Baker what it wanted him to hear.
With 32 seconds remaining in the Celtics' 98-75 romp over the Miami Heat,
coach Jim O'Brien sent Walter McCarty in for Baker, and the crowd serenaded
him with a standing ovation for a basketball job well done, and a life
resurrected.

"It was the biggest night of my career," Baker said. "The most special night.
That ovation, coming out of the game, was special for me and my family."

It was a festive Opening Night. The first official look at a post-Antoine
Celtics team revealed an aggressive and unselfish outlook. There were six men
in double figures, three of whom came off the bench. There were a staggering
28 assists tacked onto the team's 37 baskets. The inside defense was so strong
that O'Brien was proud to point out that the Heat managed just 2 points in the
paint in the second half.

But all this was an addendum to the Hollywoodish human drama that was Vin
Baker, who returned to the lineup after putting his life back together by
scoring 15 points on 6-for-8 shooting, and who did so in a manner that
reminded people of a Vin Baker who has a gold medal (Sydney) and who used to
count on spending All-Star weekend as a paid guest of the league.

You would have to be in possession of a cold, cold heart not to be happy for
Vin Baker this morning.

"I'm very proud of Vin Baker," said O'Brien, "and I'm happy for he and his
family."

Most of the basketball world thought the Celtics had seen the last of the
6-foot-11-inch forward when he left the team last Feb. 27 and entered a rehab
program for alcoholism. O'Brien says he was not one of those people.

"I did [expect Baker back]," O'Brien declared, "and I'll tell you why. I went
down to see him at the hospital and we had a talk and right then he was
already talking about tonight, when he could get back. He admitted his
difficulties, and said, basically, `You can count on me next year. This is all
going to be behind me.' "

No need for a script doctor with material like this.

His first basket was a little spinning layup on a nice high-low pass from Mark
Blount at 8-8. His next basket was a face-up 15-footer that put the Celtics
ahead to stay at 12-10. On each of those plays he displayed more life than at
any time last season, when he was neither truly physically nor mentally
prepared to play basketball at this highest level of competition.

With that, he was comfortably settled into the flow of the game. "I had to
calm myself down in the very beginning," he confessed. "I had too much nervous
energy. I had to bring myself down to a level where I could play."

His teammates weren't really surprised at his performance, because they have
been looking at him for a month now. But the crowd needed to be shown that
everything they've been reading and hearing about the return of the real Vin
Baker wasn't just more media hype. Now they know the truth: the Celtics have
added the equivalent of an experienced lottery pick to their lineup.

"It's the same game he had last year," said Eric Williams. "Except now he's
got lift and explosiveness. His weight's down, and he's mentally right."

All Baker wanted last night was not to screw up. He had earned a starting job,
but he had no grandiose notions, since he's been around long enough to know
that exhibition play isn't quite the same as real NBA basketball. This was his
first regular-season appearance since Feb. 18, when he had 6 points and two
rebounds in a 125-117 victory at Golden State. "I had no statistical
expectations," he stressed. "I just wanted to come out and play hard. To be in
the flow like that was a blessing. This was kind of a journey come to an
end."

Don't read that the wrong way. He's more than a little aware that there are 81
games to go, plus a few more after that if the team does what it wants to.

"I know it's one game," he said. "If it were a five-game season, I might
really be celebrating."

What the return of Vin Baker does is give the Celtics a versatile 6-11 scoring
threat. His bread-and-butter has always been a mid-lane turnaround, but in his
former state he had abandoned it because he (correctly) feared he lacked the
lift to prevent it from being blocked. "My legs are livelier," he said.

Throw in the face-up jumper, the second-chance possibilities, and even some
scoring at the end of the fast break, and now you're talking about a major
offensive asset, and that's before addressing the rebounding and defense.

And it's only Game 1.

"The turnaround jumper, the rebounding, the blocked shots and getting out on
the break," annotated Williams. "That's all back. I always said Vinny had the
best footwork of any big man in the league. And he's going to get better and
better. He's going to be something to see later in the season."

All this is great, fantastic, and a great bonus for the Boston Celtics. But
what really matters is that a man who was throwing his life away is back being
of service to his family, friends, organization, teammates, coaching staff,
and, most of all, himself.

"I couldn't have written this any better," Baker smiled.

Who could?

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of bostonCom_SubsAd.gif]