From: Berry, Mark S [mailto:berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 11:33 AM
To: 'celtics@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: Re: Front Four Opinion

Roger (and Egg), I agree with this in principle. If you're just talking
about trading Battie for a backup point guard or to save money, I say hold
onto him. He still has value to the Celtics.

But it's also clear he isn't part of the future of this team, and really
only a marginal part of the present (but a great insurance policy). If you
can use him to seriously upgrade the overall talent (the
Griffin/Mobley/Nachbar scenario), then you have to do it. If you can use him
to get a younger, potentially much better player (Wilcox), then you have to
do it. And I might even be convinced to do a deal that helps in terms of cap
room, if they then use that cap room/expiring contract to add talent to the
future of this team.

Ainge sees the big picture and realizes that a small sacrifice this year
(frontcourt depth) might be necessary to make a serious improvement down the
road. The Celtics don't have a lot of valuable assets. They're rebuilding.
They have to maximize the assets they do have, and Battie seems to be one of
them.

Mark

--- --- ---

Roger wrote:

I hear what everyone is saying about the possibility of trading Battie.
IMHO, I really like the look of the front line as it is presently put
together. I think it's great that we are able to start off the game with a
fairly strong pair, let them run the other team ragged. Then bring in
another pair at the same position with equal, but different strengths, to
keep the pressure on. We have not had four 7 footers (or close) on this
team, at the same time, that were capable of making a regular contribution
to the team for many years (if ever).

I say keep this unit in place for now and see how things shake out, unless
some unbelievable trade opportunity presents itself.